Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DSLR Scanner: Lenses

Re: DSLR Scanner: Lenses

I am going to be very interested to hear how your Takumar performs.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I am going to be very interested to hear how your Takumar performs.
    Ha! Don't hold your breath. That old, all-metal 135/4 Tak is weighty, providing coverage as it does for 6x7. A reversing ring might be necessary--I've never found anyone who can ascertain at what magnification the lens was optimized for. Apparently, it was optimized for close-up--there are many reports (some of which may be repeating each other--Struan's crowd-source) of the lens doing less well at infinity. Probably, it is optimized for something like 1:10--it doesn't even make it down to 1:3 without tubes. I have the tubes, but not the reversing ring or the adapter. I've seen the adapters, but they are sort-of expensive, though they do have what is probably an inadequate shoe. I'd have to adapt a Bogen long-lens support, probably. I wouldn't want to hang that lens off my 5D unsupported, especially on tubes.

Now, if someone would buy me a Pentax 645D, then my priorities would shift immediately, heh. 1:1 on a 33x44 sensor would require fewer tiles!

Rick "accepting donations" Denney

Here's another link to some lens tests: http://savazzi.freehostia.com/photog...omponon_60.htm
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Here's a link to a layered tiff that shows a 55 nikkor forward, reversed, led source, and a flash source: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3595413/55mmMicrotests.tif The magnifications are very close to 1:1, although there is a slight difference between the forward and reverse magnifications. The image is of a 24mm long section of a 4x5" TMX negative developed in Pyrocat MC.

I think they look good all of them, they all clearly resolve the grain in the film. Its hard to judge color spectrum differences on the different lighsources on black and white though. What would be a good test image to shoot for color? I have a Epson printer(4900) that has very large gamut. I was thinking of printing some kind of test and shoot on Porta and scan that as best as I can on my coolscan and use as a reference. Then try to see how close I can get with different lightsources on dslr. What would be a good testchart, testing color and sharpness?

Ludvig

I wouldn't judge color on any of them. The color of the stained film is very brown. Each file was white-balanced in Light Room. I doubt the my low CRI led source would be ok for color. The best test for color would be an IT8 slide. Wolf Faust sells them cheaply.

A good test chart is any flat film that was sharply focused. You can use fancy USAF resolution testings slides, or similar, but they are expensive.

While this lens is way overkill for the scanner project, some of the people interested in the scanner might also be interested in general macro work. There's a very good deal on a JML 20x finite objective. It's about $45 shipped. See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JML-Optical-...item2ebbc7fc5d For some discussion of these lenses, see: http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...r=asc&start=75 Note that at this magnification focus stacking would be required for any useable depth of field.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    While this lens is way overkill for the scanner project, some of the people interested in the scanner might also be interested in general macro work. There's a very good deal on a JML 20x finite objective. It's about $45 shipped. See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JML-Optical-...item2ebbc7fc5d For some discussion of these lenses, see: http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...r=asc&start=75 Note that at this magnification focus stacking would be required for any useable depth of field.
    Damn... I won't open a PayPal account (hate hate hate), the auction states PP only, and the seller won't reply to questions.

As per their auction: "Need to contact us? Please use the eBay message system under the "contact seller" hyperlink. We receive many emails each day and strive to answer them within 24 business hours. We rarely exceed 48 business hours when responding to emails. " He's been very responsive to others on the macro list.