Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: DSLR Scanner: Camera Supports and Positioning

Re: DSLR Scanner: Camera Supports and Positioning

Gives me ideas.

Not to do what you are doing.

Great sources, I will put them in the back of my night brain.

I have a lot of projects back there...

Interesting project guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    We're using 60 RGB LEDs per meter ribbon:http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...,70322&p=70326

The controller is:http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...,70322&p=70327 We're using the one with three knobs.
    Tin Can

Ahh, I missed the illumination technique. You are using the equivalent of a flat panel illumination system. That's handy from a design point of view and I see was commented on earlier as possibly being "crazy" bright. I suppose one could use a diffuser with such an arrangement if there was small local unevenness from the discrete LEDs. Pretty neat for compactness.

I have started to experiment with a similar design but will use manual X and Y translation with Edmund rack and pinion motion. I also am choosing, at first to use an Omega D2V enlarger condenser optics set (6 in. diameter) with a small halogen DC bulb that I drive from a regulated DC supply. So far I use an aperture to control the degree of collimation , (sort of a corrupted Kohler illumination technique). But this is of course bulky.

I find with the initial lashup (using an old Leitz macro copy stand for stability) that I can certainly obtain double the Epson V750 resolution using a good quality macro lens at 1:1. Increasing the contrast of the illumination certainly increases the MTF of the copied chromes. Also using a DC driven halogen bulb makes it possible to adjust the color temperature over a reasonably wide range.

I'm plugging along slowly at this right now being in the middle of two hip replacements.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

That sounds like a very interesting system, Nate. I look forward to hearing more about it, and seeing some pictures, down the road.

I agree that these systems can easily better a V750. That's possible even with a venerable 55mm micro Nikkor.

I hope that your hip replacements go well!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

While the current design has the belt drives close to the center of each axis, they don't need to be there. There is no problem with the stages racking wherever they are driven from. For instance, they could easily be driven with the belts outside of the parallel rails, leaving the center completely open.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Nice to see this project remains underway.. has the effort over the past year increased the ease, or raised the quality of the stitched/composited image?

is this effort making it faster, easier, higher in quality? (which of the set)

anyway, congrats for the preservation...

Daniel might have any opinion about that, as he's had a working version for a few weeks now. Today, I'm going to install my light source, which might be a bit of a task. I should be able to run my first automated scan later this week.

Here's the film stage with a mask for 4x5" film. The protective film is still on the P99 acrylic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Film_Carrier.jpg  

Looking good!
    I am eager to see a video, pretty please with sugar on top?

Ludvig

An excellent idea! : )