Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to safely remove front lens cell from shutter body?

how to safely remove front lens cell from shutter body?

I recently picked up a 75mm super angulon from an ebay seller, the lens optically is fine and so is the shutter... except for the time function, it works sometimes and dosent others. I suspect theres a sticky lever somewhere inside and would like to open up the shutter to see if its just gunked on dust or dried up lube. The front lens group is stuck on pretty good so thats whats preventing me from doing what seems to be a fairly simple inspection inside the shutter.

Whats the safest way to either clamp on the shutter body to remove the front lens group or is there something safer/easier? I thought of making some wood vee blocks to grip the shutter body tightly yet safely, but id like to know if anyone else has a better idea...
    2020, year of the revived flickr account: https://flic.kr/ps/3UDNGR

Photographer

Re: how to safely remove front lens cell from shutter body?

Try a strap wrench. If you’re in the US, you can get a set of two inexpensively at Harbor Freight. There are lots of threads on the Forum about getting lens cells unstuck.
    Keith Pitman

I've (rarely) had this problem, but I've solved it by using one of those rubber things people use for getting stuck lids off jars. Hold the shutter in one hand securely, so you won't break or bend anything on it, use the rubber part wrapped around the front element.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    I've (rarely) had this problem, but I've solved it by using one of those rubber things people use for getting stuck lids off jars. Hold the shutter in one hand securely, so you won't break or bend anything on it, use the rubber part wrapped around the front element.
    This, or optionally, put the rubber thing on a flat workbench and put the lens face down on it, press down while unscrewing the shutter. Obviously, if the lens glass sticks out further than the metal ring around the glass you can't do this without damaging the glass.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

The one time I had a frozen cell that I needed to remove, it took a fair bit of fussing with a rubber strap wrench to get it off.

I send my LF lenses to Expert Camera Repair in Houston for maintenance.

www.expertcasmerarepair.com
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Ive read about the rubber strap wrench method on initial searches on the forum but my concern is really gripping the shutter body in a way where i wont break off something if it rotates... i guess i will try holding the shutter body in one hand carefully and use the strap wrench over the lens method.

I have a larger wide angle Fujinon 125mm where the weight of the front lens group actually slightly broke the shutter mount itself (it has a little bit of "give now"), it seems impossible to get it off without destroying either the lens threads or the shutter. So beware with these large heavy wide angle lens and shutters, the problem could be deeper than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    I have a larger wide angle Fujinon 125mm where the weight of the front lens group actually slightly broke the shutter mount itself (it has a little bit of "give now"), it seems impossible to get it off without destroying either the lens threads or the shutter. So beware with these large heavy wide angle lens and shutters, the problem could be deeper than you think.
    Usually with the 4.5 and 5.6 wa lenses a slight impact to the front rim of the lens can apply enough pressure to crack the shutter body. That’s why companies like LInhof and Fuji had either standard or optional metal lens guard rings to protect the shutter from this problem. These rings were for the 617 cameras.

hmm, seems like its more trouble then its worth then, i think ill just use as is... if it breaks then send it for repair. its too bad since opening up a copal shutter looks very straightforward and easy. I didnt realize that these wide lenses can put enough of a moment arm on impact they can crack the shutter body, though that makes some sense since the shutters are very thin wall machined brass.

Ive been cycling the shutter over the last few days and it seems like whatever was holding back the time mechanism is becoming unstuck, it fires like it should half the time now.