Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: DSLR Scanner: Light Sources

Re: DSLR Scanner: Light Sources

In video editing there is LUT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onom8tpiof8
    Tin Can

The integrating sphere looks great, as long as you can deal with the height.

So far, I'm pretty happy with our DIY led systems. I may use one of the light boxes that Randy mentioned in another thread for a proofing scanner, one that takes a single shot of a whole negative.

Unfortunately Da Vinci lite requires a specific form of video card acceleration, which my system doesn't have. Photoshop does have a "match color" command.

As a number of people have suggested, making a compensating mask of some type wouldn't be too hard.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You can use Davinci on photos but its a bit cumbersome. Resolution is dependant on graphics memory and there is a ceiling around 5-6k on the more extreme hardware. My dayjob is in postproduction of movies and we use Davinci for colorgrading. Me and a friend who is a colorist made a project on Davinci with big photos. I made a script that sliced the picture into tiles and downscaled a copy for grading. In the timeline there would then be 1-6 slices and one downscale. Next 1-6 slices a downscale etc. The colorist worked on the downscale and then the grade was instanced to the tiles. All rendered out and then another script would assemble the tiles back. I dont think I would recommend this workflow if you are not a professional film colorist with a surface (http://www.tangentwave.co.uk/products_element.asp) and desperately want to use that tool also for photos. It was very good for us and we could really blaze through hundreds of photos and the client was very happy with the session. I would really love it if photo manipulation software moved into the physical realm like film and audio. I really miss having knobs and such to control the images.

Very interesting! Thanks for the info.
    Tin Can

There is also stuff like this http://www.lightillusion.com/matchlight_ims.html but as with most special stuff in the film industry its quite expensive. I use some other software for calibrating cameras that is free like argyll cms together or sometimes instead of lightspace. If you want to do lens and sensor calibration I could dig in and try to find a free solution. Could you describe what you would like and your current workflow/problems?

Since I only do B&W LF film and primarily enlarge, I am not the most curious on this thread, but I follow the developments here. The scanner guys are most likely the most interested in correcting color, lens flaws and light source deficiencies.
    Tin Can

Capture One works well for that, but I haven't seen the need with my current light source. In addition, stitching software takes care of minor lens flaws, such as barrel or pin cushion distortion. The best lenses for this, though, have vanishingly small distortion at their specified magnifications. Currently, I use an APO Rodagon D 75mm f/4. Just for fun, I tried a Nikon 5x objective for their measurement microscope. It's very high quality, and the results might've been slightly better than with the Rodagon, but needing 400 frames to cover 4x5 is a little crazy, even for me.

I'd like to use Black Magic Lite for video, but it's not a big deal.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Just to throw out a few options for those with higher budgets:

Capture One recently released (Dec. 2014) software designed for museums/archival. Part of the software suite includes tools for conversion of film negatives captured by DSLR. The price tag is a bit astronomical, but I thought it might interest people here. Here's the link:
    http://captureoneblog.com/capture-on...age-announced/

Incidentally, their release pdf advises using a Kaiser Lightbox (17" x 19"). Here's a link to the non-dimmable version:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...9_Prolite.html

interesting stuff if you have loads of cash :-)

Yikes!

Anyone interested can request a trial version of the Cultural Heritage version here:

http://dtdch.com/page/capture-one-ch

I'm plan to look into to any advantages it offers over C1v8 in practice. Not that I'll be shelling out for it.
    I wrote them and linked to my scanner in hopes of persuading them to offer yet another version for the little guys.