Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: DSLR Scanner: Light Sources

Re: DSLR Scanner: Light Sources

I used an SB-28 for my first light source. There will be some variation. Make sure to use fresh batteries. Make sure to allow longish time between flashes, to make sure that the flash is completely charged. If you go too fast, the tube will heat up, and it will lower output. I would be surprised if there was enough difference between frames to cause a stitching problem, though.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter,

Do you have a copy of the design of the light box you used with the flash? I was thinking of buying an old color head, and modifying it. But my design needs three light sources (a beam splitter will suffice). I understand there a few high end mixing heads that work this way, but not easy to find or cheap, and a pity to modify such equipment. I think they are called additive lamphouses.

In any case if it works I would like to produce something that others can build anyway.
    Last edited by Ted Baker; 7-Feb-2019 at 06:12.

Ted, I had a three-bulb additive color head on my Philips PCS2000 enlarger. I might have it still...hm.

Here are some pictures of my first dslr scanner light source:

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Thanks I saw that earlier, you mentioned a LSP-2?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Ted, I had a three-bulb additive color head on my Philips PCS2000 enlarger.
    That one is 6x6, ideally 4x5 would be great but it would be interesting to get some design ideas. I had look a on the net to see how the diffusion box works, in some of these enlargers.

i Have not read the entire thread, so please excuse me if it has been previously mentioned. What about using a Wacom Tablet with a diffuser made from translucent white plexiglass over the screen of the tablet to keep from resolving the pixels. I think the largest tablet is around 20x12 inches. Just a thought.
    Cheers Richard

I currently use a Pixel P50 LED light panel. https://www.amazon.com/Bi-Color-3000.../dp/B07K9K92ZS

Thanks for that link Peter. I could not find the length and width dimensions though. How do you find the distribution of light across the panel?
    Cheers Richard

PS, Peter, where can I find the Giant DSLR Scanning thread that is see quite oftentimes mentioned....Thanks R

It is an edge-lit panel, and so it doesn't have the hot spots of one where each of the LEDs is visible. I used diffusion sheets on the panel to equalize the middle and edges inside a white pvc box with an acrylic diffuser on top. After this is done, it's very even, and the brightness and color quality are very good. It's just wide enough to work ok with 8x10. It's plenty long.

For links to the other threads, see the first page of this thread.

Great! Thanks Peter.
    Cheers, Richard