Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Such a thing as a Linhof Short Throw T-Lock Cable Release " For European shutters"

Such a thing as a Linhof Short Throw T-Lock Cable Release " For European shutters"

Is there such a thing as a Linhof Short Throw T-Lock Cable Release?

The one I just bought used wont trip the shutter, when I questioned the seller he said "This cable is designed for European shutters which require very little travel"

Man I almost just flat out called BS on this one, but before I put both feet in is @$$, I wanted to ask the experts of our fine forum.

Now if in fact the end has been broken off and is short can I remove an end, cut back some of the Casing and put the end back on? Looks like I could do it at the top section where it meets the base of the T-lock and use some heavy duty heat shrink when I am done.

I feel like a fool, if there is such a thing as a special release for Linhof European shutter's. Hell Germany was a founding member of the European Community in 1957, so all the releases should be short throw right? :P The one that just arrived is around 29" long of cable shielding to the tip, and has just over 3/16" of inner release cable protruding the screw mount's threaded face. All my other releases have just under 3/4" of an inch protruding. I am kinda lost on this one, I hate to call bull$#!t but a Google search has revealed nothing to substantiate his statement.

This is all I can find ( at those prices it must be an old catalog, YA THINK!
    Linhof
    CABLE RELEASES AND ACCESSORIES
    Cable release 340 mm, T-lock + turning nipple 002429 23,–
    Cable release 430 mm, T-lock + turning nipple 002430 25,–
    Cable release 530 mm, T-lock + turning nipple 002431 25,–
    Cable release 530 mm, T-lock + special
    unthreaded nipple for cable release quicksocket 002440 29,–
    Cable release 750 mm, T-lock + turning nipple 002434 27,–
    Profi cable release 700 mm 022767 33,–
    Screw-on nipple for cable release quicksocket 041066 4,–
    Cable release extension 50 mm for Copal / Compur 100802 24,–
    Cable release extension 100 mm for Copal 100247 24,–
    Cable release extension 100 mm for
    Prontor Professional 100811

So I leave it to ya, I have looked and tried to find my own answer but I cannot! Thanks for your time. AKf

Oh I almost forgot, What is the best way to fix it so it will work correctly? Thanks Again!

Re: Such a thing as a Linhof Short Throw T-Lock Cable Release " For European shutter

No One knows how to fix this cable or if it even exists?

Re: Such a thing as a Linhof Short Throw T-Lock Cable Release " For European shutter

When I think of standard shutters, I think primarily of the German Compur and Prontor shutters, and the Japanese version Copal shutters. Even in medium and small format German cameras used Compur and Prontor shutters going a long way back.

Thus I consider them more the standard, and anything else (e.g. Wollensak Studio, Sinar Copal) as long throw.

BTW, does it work on a standard European (Compur, Prontor) shutter, as the seller suggests it is designed for?

I know that all the Linhof cable releases I have, will work on all of my LF shutters (except maybe the Studio)...

That may offer you some minor comfort, but then I am certainly not an authority on shutters...

The only shutters/cable releases I've had issues with have been Prontors which require a longer throw and a stronger cable relase than usual as well. The older Ibsor shutters are similar, both are self cocking.

Ian

The 1950 ASA standard called for a minimum of 3/8 protrusion of the plunger for both the tapered European and the old American straight thread cable releases.

loujon

Hey Tom

If you buy a high quality GEPE orif you can find an older Professional Protor cable release( They have VERY long throws) you will be able to use it with your smallest throw shutters to your longest throw shutter like #5 Studio.

So How can I fix the one I have. Basically the seller is a liar.

Which shutters won't it trip? I've read this thread from the top. You've been asked the right questions and you haven't answered them.

If the problem shutter is an Ilex Universal or Alphax, you're SOL and the seller is right. These beasties can go out of adjustment and even when in adjustment need a longer throw cable release than cock-and-shoot Copal and Compur shutters.

Cable releases are not repairable and Linhof and Gepe do not make short throw cable releases as there is no use for such an item. You can make the throw shorter on a quality cable release like the Linhof and Gepes by simply tieing a knot in them. Or use the Gepe, Linhof or Kaiser Profi release. They have an adjustable release.

Your initial impulse was correct(bullshit).
    I've lengthened one once and it worked, if you didn't look VERY closely you couldn't tell the difference between original.
    DIY stuff:
    Remove the screw end, and cut the sheath to the length you need. I wandered to the local hobby shop with the release and looked through their brass tubing. Found one that was a snug fit on the cable. Some hardware/craft stores may also have the tubing.

Cut it long, installed it with JB Weld and trimmed it to a working length. I used enough of the JB to fill the tubing so the end in the shutter was solid.
    It fills OK if you use a toothpick. IF the tubing is snug going through the tip, the tip can be reamed out slightly. X-acto knife worked well.

There are two varieties of JB, the regular and JB Quick. Auto parts/big box/hardware etc..
    The actual mod took around 15 minutes gathering the tubing & JB an hour or so with travel.