Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The Gregory Crewdson film is coming!

Re: The Gregory Crewdson film is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by davisg2370 View Post
    For other large format photographer documentaries, there are:

Sally Mann, What Remains
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Remains-L...0183316&sr=8-1

Abellardo Morell, Shadow of the House
    http://shadowofthehouse.com/index.html

Alec Soth, Somewhere to Disappear
    http://www.somewheretodisappearthefilm.com/
    The Sally Mann & Abelardo Morell docs are both excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    After reading the further discussion, I still don't buy into him being a "process artist". He is a photographer who lights his shots like a sci-fi movie and references all kinds of Americana and loneliness, etc. His process, while more complicated than most photographers, is actually less complicated and involved than shooting a real movie with special effects, and we don't call these people process artists -- although maybe we should since most movies are more interesting in their behind the scenes "how did they do it?" these days than the actual final product.
    You're absolutely right John. And to be clear, I don't buy into it either. But Greg spins it this way. And I was being facetious, mostly in response to a post made earlier by someone who initially brought up the "it's not the picture, it's the process" malarkey. All I see is an over-produced, over-lit, saccharine picture that looks like it's trying to sell me on a prescription for a mood-stabilizing drug.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    You're absolutely right John. And to be clear, I don't buy into it either. But Greg spins it this way. And I was being facetious, mostly in response to a post made earlier by someone who initially brought up the "it's not the picture, it's the process" malarkey. All I see is an over-produced, over-lit, saccharine picture that looks like it's trying to sell me on a prescription for a mood-stabilizing drug.
    Yes, I'm not arguing with you and thinking you are taking the other side. I am more just thinking out loud and your comments were the ones that got me thinking about it.

New Orleans, LA

The film was screened last night at the Film-O-Rama film festival here in New Orleans. It was the second official screening of the film! The New Orleans Photo Alliance collaborated with The New Orleans Film Society to bring the film maker, Ben Shapiro, to the screening and he kindly did a Q&A afterwards. I found the film very insightful as to Crewdson's working methods and the process he goes through to construct his photographs from the initial idea to the final shoot. Mr. Shapiro did a wonderful job editing the film. You come away with a better sense of this particular artist at work.

I think it'll be an interesting film. Thanks for sharing.

been reading this thread and the only thing worth commenting on is

anonymous benefit of "handles" or "nicknames"

Truth is is that while on the internet EVERYONE is "anonymous" whether they use a real name or not
    I imagine Kerik Kouklis is the real name of the person posting as Kerik Kouklis
    But I doubt I'll ever meet that person so he is in fact quite "anonymous"
    at least by your definition

It seems to me that what you're actually WANTING to say is that unless you're known outside of the internet and use your real name online -AND PROVE IT- that you're not to be trusted

which is a pretty republi
    lol
    It's pretty sad, anyway.

If someone
    lets just me for this one
    uses the same moniker/assumed name/alias/penname/pseudonym/screename/SN/nickname/handle
    everywhere on the internet or at the very least uses a name that isn't "GUEST"
    one that separates them from anyone else on the system
    -remember that you cannot choose any sn you prefer ..it has to be available in order to use it-
    You are in fact not truly anonymous
    you can be picked out of the crowd
    sometimes while not even using your SN

If people know you well enough to pick your posts out while posting under another name
    guess what, man
    you have an identity
    you are responsible for what you write
    you did "put your name on it"
    reputation, too

Go ahead and try meeting someone offline to make them pay for their views ..harmlessy even
    tell me how creepy you'd be in taking an online discussion into the real world

c'mon, dude
    get real

the internet is not anonymous
    it's not impersonal
    it's just not in person

If bad things happen online
    worse things happen in real life
    nobody goes around yelling in real life about how real everything is
    shi
    people get murdered every day and the only time we think about it is while watching the news

OH NOS THE INTERNET IS BOTHERING ME
    i'm clicking "ignore"

how fkn lame

Thumbs up Re: The Gregory Crewdson film is coming!

Hi all:

The amount of effort that Crewdson puts in creating a staged/engineered tableau appears to be admiring. I previously saw him creating a scene on a snowy night on a street. His effort is as admirable as the wax statues of the Madam Tussaud's wax museum. His pictures are more illusionary like wax replica of personalities at Madam Tussaud's: Look real, but not.

With the development of manipulation softwares like Photoshop, Gimp (http://gimp.org), blender (http://blender.org) and many others, a lot of fabricated variations are possible in graphics.

Crewdson tried to tried to embrace a trend established since 17th century. Maybe this video () is something interesting to watch. However, he set his own style, that appeals viewers!

The only thing I admire about Crewdson is the amount of effort he invests in engineering fabricated reality and the number of jobs he creates though his style. Thanks, Mr. Crewdson!

/z

---

Support http://thehumanape.com

An old thread, but wondering if anyone has seen Brief Encounters and would like to comment on it. I think of Crewdson as a still-movie photographer but apparently he is working on a movie called Reflective Light. I don’t speak Hollywood-speak but as of June, the movie was in "Pre-production". I see a lot of Edward Hopper in him but he cites Diane Arbus as an influence; I can imagine a Crewdson film as looking a little Bernardo Bertolucci. Perhaps I am just hoping for a little more cinematography in cinema. All the best everyone, John

I didn't see this first time around. It's a shame that nothing I look at today gives me a sense of awe or makes me say "how did they do that?" (remember when you first saw Star Wars??) I just assume everything is digitally manipulated and anyone can produce anything they can imagine on a computer.

I think what's cool about this guy is the PROCESS, not necessarily the outcome. Someone earlier said they were not impressed because this dude wasn't doing anything unique that wasn't already being done on at the very least, B movie sets. True, but not for an 8x10 shot! That's the interesting part and what makes the process unique. Not necessarily the final image.

Although I haven't watched the movie yet. I'll watch this weekend.

Who?

Sorry, but I have no idea who Gregory Crewdson is. Should I?