Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gregory Crewdson film is coming!

Re: The Gregory Crewdson film is coming!

Crewdson is a genius. If you've never seen his work in person, I can't take your assessment seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    You did post this in the "on photography" section of this forum, didn't you? Are you suggesting that in order to have an opinion on a photographer's work one needs compare that person's work to one's own? A rather myopic way of approaching a critique don't you think, le contrarian?
    I'm excited his film is coming out and figured others would be, too. Perhaps I should have posted it elsewhere on the forum, but it was not meant as an invitation to disparage his work. Don't you have better things to do? If you don't like his work, fine, but why not start a separate thread if you feel he's so overrated?

A short addendum. Dialogue is, of course, vital to a forum and is the idea upon which it is based. Thing is, we don't have to be so negative all the time. If someone makes a post about something they like, why is it always that among the first replies people feel the need to chime in that they *don't* like that thing? Too often people seem allergic to other people liking what they themselves don't like. If someone asks what the forum thinks of something, it should be expected to get both positive and negative replies. But if someone just wants to bring up something he or she appreciates and think others might, too, are disparaging remarks really necessary? If you don't like something, wouldn't it be better to withhold criticism when it wasn't solicited and post, instead, on the topic of something that you *do* like? That would seem to be a much more valuable, constructive approach to things.

Based on the title of the OP I thought that he might have made a movie. I'd imagine a movie with every scene having the attention to detail that he puts into his still photographs would be pretty amazing, at least from a cinematographer's standpoint.

I agree completely. I heard once a while back that he was doing some motion picture work, but I haven't heard anything about it since. It was a short blurb in design magazine and mentioned him developing very advanced lighting setups that would move dynamically relative to changing camera position or something like that. I don't suppose anyone remembers that, do they?

New Orleans, LA

Cool! I always enjoy seeing artists at work and behind-the-scenes, especially photographers. Thanks for letting us know about this.

David,

I agree with you about the hateful remarks. I think there is enough room in the world for all photography types. I dig Crewdson's work and when I first learned of his huge sets and lighting experts, shutting down city blocks, removing distracting signs, it got me to thinking about the question "what makes a photographer a photographer?" I'm not trying to hijack your thread, but rather point out that Crewdson is as thought provoking in his methodology as he is with his photography.

-DP

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    A short addendum. Dialogue is, of course, vital to a forum and is the idea upon which it is based. Thing is, we don't have to be so negative all the time. If someone makes a post about something they like, why is it always that among the first replies people feel the need to chime in that they *don't* like that thing? Too often people seem allergic to other people liking what they themselves don't like. If someone asks what the forum thinks of something, it should be expected to get both positive and negative replies. But if someone just wants to bring up something he or she appreciates and think others might, too, are disparaging remarks really necessary? If you don't like something, wouldn't it be better to withhold criticism when it wasn't solicited and post, instead, on the topic of something that you *do* like? That would seem to be a much more valuable, constructive approach to things.
    David,
    That view is ideal and benefits everyone when the participating forum members have the same constructive approach as you do.
    Some just like the anonymous benefit of "handles" or "nicknames" that allow them to spew nonsense without personal accountability. Those posts are only constructive if they make a point. If it's pointless, why even acknowledge it? If that member continues, add them to your ignore list and move along. I have found my list growing in recent weeks. My reading in this forum is more enjoyable because of it.

Chris

Looks very interesting, thanks. Look foreward to seeing the film

It's the internet. Haters gonna hate. I also like his work and will be looking for this film. Always interesting to see how the sausage is made whether you eat it or not.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion