Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could a Large Format Redwood Tree Portrait compete with National Geographic's photo?

Re: Could a Large Format Redwood Tree Portrait compete with National Geographic's pho

A big problem is getting a clear view of the tree in its entirety. After all, most of them are in... well... forests.

Like you said, restricting your choice to a redwood with a clear view limits your subjects. You may end up with heartbreaking portraits of lone redwoods in clear-cuts.

There is no limit to the quality of photos you can make of redwood trees, if you accept partially obscured views. I've noticed a need for better portraits of the great trees and I wish you well if you choose to take on the project.

Re: Could a Large Format Redwood Tree Portrait compete with National Geographic's pho

Here’s the only top-to-bottom Redwood in my entire 4x5 portfolio.

It’s the tree on the far right – the three center trees are Austrian Black Pines.

Sierra Redwoods (also known as Giant Sequoias) are common in the city of Seattle.

When it comes to Sierra Redwoods, I enjoy close-ups of their beautiful fluted bases.

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
    T-Max 100 (in T-Max rs)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Austrian black pines.jpg  

Although you'll not find any color, redwoods, both coastal Sequoia Sempervirens and Sierra Sequoia Gigantea, were quite commonly photographed in their vertical entirety in the nineteenth century by "large format" plate photographers. Communicating the wonder of these great trees was quite in vogue, made unfortunately all the easier as their brethren were cut down all around them. I would suggest you check historical records, published books, and photographs in any federal lands visitor center or natural history association, where redwood groves are located (NPS: Kings Canyon – Sequioa, Yosemite, FS: Sierra, Muir Woods, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    When it comes to Sierra Redwoods, I enjoy close-ups of their beautiful fluted bases.
    As do I.

Senate Group, Giant Forest
    5X7 TXP 320 (200), PMK Pyro, Fujinon 180mm

Establishing the incredible beauty and mass of these trees, doesn't have to be communicated only by photographing them in their entirety, or in color. Light and form, monochrome's métier may also be used to establish their greatness, without their full measure.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Ain't going to happen, You simply will not be able to achieve enough camera to subject distance without other objects getting in the way and you will not be able to get the camera high enough of the ground without sophisticated apparatus.

Like ROL, I did not feel the need to show the entire tree to be able to imply it's majesty.

Some of the small meadows in Sequoia NP should provide enough distance to capture an entire tree.
    Peter Y.

Drew Wiley

Sure it could be done in LF if it was done digital. But you'd have to rig up something special
    and apply for a special permit just like NGS. A balloon or cable system could be used, along
    with a gyro and fixed lens wide-angle camera. You'd stitch at the end. Think of it as a
    vertical panorama shot. Just shooting the thing would work only if other trees weren't in
    the way. Do you want to shoot a specific tree of just any really tall redwood?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Danger thought time!
    What if something like a Cirkut camera were adapted to be used as a strip camera? As the camera moves up (or down) the scaffolding, the film is passed behind the lens. Thus, no stitching is required.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thank you all for sharing the excellent redwood photos. I certainly agree that it isn't necessary to fit the whole tree in a photo to capture it's essence.

Unfortunately, my project needs to be done on a shoe string budget. Custom cameras and vertical tramways are out of the question, though that Cirkut looks quite tempting. Hopefully Ansel Adams' claim that old Koronas are perfectly adequate is correct.

I don't want to photograph a specific tree, though I prefer tall, big, and old trees with character. I doubt that it would be possible to do a full portrait of any of the tallest, or biggest, Coastal Redwoods. According to the video about Michael Nichols' photograph, it was done from only 50 feet from the tree. Thus the need for a vertical tramway and I am about as likely to get 100 feet up in the air to take photographs as I am to get hired as a Chippendale dancer. The Sequoias in the Sierras are probably spaced far enough apart to allow many distant redwood photos.

I've spent a little time searching on the internet for some of those B&W redwood photos from 100 years ago, but I haven't found anything yet. I seem to recall reading that Humbolt State U. in Arcata CA had an archive of old forest photos, but that is a 5 hour drive away.

Do some searches for Darius and Tabitha Kinsey. He was out in the forest 100 years ago with an 11X14 and a few with mammoth plate doing spectacular things. The books are cheap.