About 15 years ago, I opened an office in a new city for the company I was working for at the time. I found a used office furniture store, because used stuff of high quality is better than the cheap stuff the Office Depots of this world sell. In that package of furniture, I managed to get a couple of Herman Miller Equa chairs. When my employer was acquired, I bought the chairs from the outgoing owner and kept them for myself. I used one of them at my office after the acquisition for another dozen years, and now it's my office chair at home. My wife uses the other one. They still look good after such continuous usage.

These chairs are simple. The back is fixed to the seat (unlike too many desk chairs) and thus, when you do lean back, it doesn't automatically untuck your shirt or make your shorts ride up. It lacks all the fru-fru adjustibility of the Aeron, and it also lacks the high-tech aesthetic. Only the height and the tilt tension is adjustable. It's just a good, firm, well-fitting, durable desk chair.

The current version is the Equa 2, and it seems largely the same. They are out of your price range new, but I found this outfit that sells refurbished models for much less than the retail price of new ones. I've never bought from these people, but if I wanted another of these chairs, I'd probably give them a try.

I'm 6'0" and 235 with the same waist as you, Frank, so I think this might work for you. My wife is of a (thankfully) much different shape, and it works for her, too.

http://www.newchairparts.com/product...2-office-chair

Rick "wishing the gubmint-issue chair in his current office was anywhere near as comfortable" Denney