Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Right Chair for a Workstation

The Right Chair for a Workstation

So I am happy with the state of my workstation except now I'd like to get a better chair. I'm a typical fat ass carnivourous American male, 230 pounds, 40 inch waist... so it can't be wimpy. But I definitely do not want any sort of plush "executive" chair that is easy to sit back in, I work erect (!) and have pretty good posture. Right now I am using a Grainger task chair, like an assembly line worker (remember those?) with a molded plywood seat and steel five legged non-rolling base. I'd like to find something a little larger and also something that won't cut off circulation to my bent legs. I can afford up to $500 -- I don't want a $129 Office Max Made in China knock off and I don't want an $800 Herman Miller Aeron (I already did the dot.com phase, thank you). And my wife has these God@#$% cats that would mess up the black Nylon mesh of the Aeron anyway.

I figure having a happy butt is as important as a good monitor and lots of RAM....

So what say the esteemed brain trust of the forum? And Denny too?

Octogenarian

Re: The Right Chair for a Workstation

Frank,

Take a look at the chairs offered on the Office Depot website. They have 50 specialized chairs listed under "big and tall".

Most of them fall within your budget constraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    ...I don't want an $800 Herman Miller Aeron (I already did the dot.com phase, thank you). And my wife has these God@#$% cats that would mess up the black Nylon mesh of the Aeron anyway.
    I'm sitting right now in the Aeron chair I salvaged from the dot.com I used to work for over a decade ago. Still looks and feels like new. I couldn't believe they let me take it with me when they got scared out of the market by the dot.com bust. Best parting gift I've ever received.

Seriously, I had back trouble in my 40s, right when the Aeron came to market. I tried them all, and I do mean all, and the Aeron was far and away the best chair available at any price. And lucky for you, they had a "C" size chair for big-ass American males who aren't smart enough to figure out that it's the meat that's killing them. Um... that would be you?

Oh, yes, I had a cat for 17 years (RIP) who spent a fair amount of her life on either my lap or my wife's, and she never did a thing to either of our Aeron chairs. If you don't count her spring-time "projectile shedding". I don't know what you're worried about.

Just sayin': Without doubt, the Aeron is the best task chair made. Still. It's the perfect chair; even Herman Miller hasn't been able to top it.

Bruce Watson

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Take a look at the chairs offered on the Office Depot website. They have 50 specialized chairs listed under "big and tall".

Instead of that, don't go online for a chair. Get up and go visit one or two office furniture specialty stores. In Seattle, there is "Ducky's". You need to go somewhere and sit in several chairs for yourself. I don't remember what I bought for myself, but it has plenty of adjustments, cost less than $500, and is a great chair.

Office Depot and similar do not carry a large line of chairs. You need something of quality, and you need to park your hind end in it for a while. Trust me, I really know what I'm writing about, because I have a bad back, and I need good chairs.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Yeah I know the Aeron is probably the best.... geesh

The Aeron is probably the best. HM's soft pad aluminum group chairs are very comfy as well, but I've only sat in them at DWR. But maybe try not sitting. Stand instead. I know I started getting fat the second I got a sitting job in 1997. I'm still sitting, still fat. Here are some links: [Link removed at the request of the site owner], Stand up while you read this!

If I was following my own advice, I'd get an anti-fatigue mat like barbers use and build a desk like this one:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	standUP.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	68648
    Last edited by rdenney; 30-May-2013 at 12:13. Reason: Removing a link at the request of the linked site owner

Quote Originally Posted by David Carson View Post
    But maybe try not sitting. Stand instead.
    I built a standing desk and used it for years at the height of my back trouble. The Aeron was the first chair I could sit in for any length of time. Made my bosses much happier -- you'd never believe how much bosses hate it when you stand in meetings and at your "desk". Really, really, hate it. Probably a power / control thing. Engineers like me sometimes just don't get it though. Sigh... I never did figure that out. And I still stand in meetings. Oy.

Bruce Watson

I'm more interested in a happy back than a happy butt. I have a simple solid wooden dining room chair at the computer. It's cooler than a padded chair. At work I have some sort of 1-piece plywood thing with 3 holes in the back.

Geos

Aeron, without a doubt. I've had mine, for the workstation, for about seven years and it's great. Fatigue is never a factor, nor is a sore back. If you do order one, make sure to order the correct size.

I had a cheap office chair from Staples that was cutting off the circulation in my legs. Since I sit at my computer much of the day I had to do something about it. I ended up with a Steelcase Leap - same target market as the Aeron, though the details are a bit different. But yeah, if at all possible you should find a dealer that you can visit to try different models for yourself, rather than picking one from a catalog.