Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider & Rodenstock standard lens recommendations for 6x9

Schneider & Rodenstock standard lens recommendations for 6x9

Would anyone care to recommend a favorite schneider or rodenstock standard lens for 6x9 format? Thanks for an info

Re: Schneider & Rodenstock standard lens recommendations for 6x9

Based on the diagonal of the film, a "normal" lens would be about 108mm (I don't shoot 6x9).

Rodenstock makes a 100mm/5.6 APO-Sironar-S lens that's identified as being for 6x9 format.
    Its image circle is 155mm, which would afford ample movements. It's tiny, only 190g in a Copal 0 shutter.

I have the 135mm/5.6 and longer lenses in the APO-Sironar-S series, and they're uniformly outstanding.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post

I have the 135mm/5.6 and longer lenses in the APO-Sironar-S series, and they're uniformly outstanding.

- Leigh
    Thanks Leigh,

Intuition has been telling me to go with the 135mm. The conversion calculators put it at about the equivalent of 58mm in 35mm format. That's a little long, but not too long.... it might just work.

The 135mm is certainly a good choice. I use mine on 4x5 and enjoy a wide range of movements with its 208mm IC.

Good luck with the quest.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Mike, lens choice depends greatly on the sort of photography that you do, so what I use may not be appropriate for you. For landscape my most used lens is a 75 mm (Rodenstock Grandagon & Schneider Super-Angulon), followed by the 135 mm Apo-Sironar-S. For cityscapes and more general purposes I use a 90 mm Nikkor-SW, and I pair this up with a 180 mm Apo-Sironar-S and a 55 mm Apo-Grandagon. If I could have only 1 lens then it may be the 80 mm Super-Symmar XL.

George

The light version with my Arca-Swiss is Angulon 6,8/90 and the heavier Super-Symmar HM 5,6/120, sometimes Symmar 5,6/100. Each has their character: "mild", very sharp, usual...

Mike, the diagonal of nominal 6x9 (actual 2.25" x 3.25", in metric 56 x 82 or so) is 100 mm. The diagonal of 24x36 is 43 mm. That we call 50 mm "normal" for 24x36 is due to an historical accident.

You can use any lens you want that will focus as far away as you need on your camera (what is it?) and that can be mounted on your camera and will cover the format. There's nothing magic about lenses from Schneider and Rodenstock. Other makers made lenses, normal for the format and otherwise, that work well on some if not all 2x3 cameras. There's also nothing magic about the latest most best lenses with names prefixed by "Apo-", super wides and telephotos excepted. You asked about normal lenses.

FWIW, the focal length I use most on my 2x3 cameras is around 100 mm. The lens used to be a 101/4.5 Ektar or a 4"/2.0 TTH, these days it is a 105/5.6 Saphir BX (rebadged Zircon).

George Hart, which 6x9 camera do you use?

Mike, to get an idea of what can be used on 2x3 cameras, see http://www.galerie-photo.com/telecha...2011-03-29.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    George Hart, which 6x9 camera do you use?
    Ebony 45S & Fotoman 69.

100mm is the normal focal length for 69 so from Rodenstock that would be the Apo Sironar S but if you can sacrifice some coverage and want superior performance then the best would be the 105mm Apo Sironar Digital.

Mine is the slightly older 100 Apo Sironar N. Works great on a Century Graphic. I've also used it with no movements on a 4x5 Graphic, focus usually around 10-15 ft, and had no coverage problems. I've noticed recently that the used 100mm versions of Sironars, Symmars and Nikons are selling for some very good prices.