Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monorail cameras question?

Monorail cameras question?

Hi,

I decided that I need a monorail 4x5 camera. I would like to buy a used premium or high end model because the prices are low and maybe I can get a bargain. Please tell me something about the range of Linhof, Sinar and Arca Swiss - with camera are entry level, standard, premium or high end models.

Re: Monorail cameras question?

or maybe 5x7...

Perhaps like when getting in to any "larger" format for the first time, it might be a good idea to go for a camera with a bulk that you can get used to. You can easily find a well-built camera with lots of smooth, geared movements, etc. for a great price but you most likely will not bother setting it up even if you have it in your vehicle all the time.

So my advice is to go for something lightweight. Maybe even a field camera first?

As for other things, look for lensboard and back compatibility and availability.

Good luck!

I've owned Toyo cameras as long as I've been in photography....which is much longer than I care to admit. They are sturdy and take a beating. It's easy to get accessories for them and they aren't overly heavy. Those sometimes go inexpensively.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

With Sinar, there is the Norma, the F, and the P, plus a few relative oddities. The Norma was the standard Sinar from before about 1970. The F and P models replaced it. The F is the "field" model that does not include geared movements, and the P is the studio model that is fully geared. Obviously, the F is far lighter than the P. Of the F's, the F2 is preferable--most of them have independent shift and swing locks (combined on the F and earliest F2) and it has geared focus on both standards instead of just the rear.

F's sell in the range of $300 or so, F2's maybe as much as twice that, and P's three or four times as much. Chrome models are older than black models, and tend to sell for less.

The F has base tilts only, and the P has both base and asymmetric axial tilts (using a curved track in the base).

Normas are probably more beautifully machined than the later models and use less plastic. Normas have axial tilts and close-fitting U-frames. They tend to be priced in the same range as the F2.

Boards, bellows, rails, and most other accessories are interchangeable across all Sinar cameras.

Of the oddities, there is the A1 (or Alpina), which is the only one that does not use the standard round monorail. These were intended as a budget model and they are usually less expensive. If you don't need the extendable rail, they are a good value. Everything else interchanges. There is also the C and the X. The C is a combination of P rear and F front, and the X is a less-precisely-made version of the P.

I own an F2, and only occasionally wish I gone the Norma route instead.

Rick "who'll let others provide a summary of Linhof and Arca models" Denney
    Last edited by rdenney; 16-Feb-2012 at 09:13. Reason: needed to say it to mean boths standards have geared focus on the F2

Quote Originally Posted by genotypewriter View Post
    Perhaps like when getting in to any "larger" format for the first time, it might be a good idea to go for a camera with a bulk that you can get used to. You can easily find a well-built camera with lots of smooth, geared movements, etc. for a great price but you most likely will not bother setting it up even if you have it in your vehicle all the time.

So my advice is to go for something lightweight. Maybe even a field camera first?

As for other things, look for lensboard and back compatibility and availability.

Good luck!

I have got two old and heavy studio cameras (5x7 and 8x10). My 13x18cm field camera is an english type travel camera and has little movements. I need something lightweight with lot of movements for studio work that would fit in to a small case.

jadphoto

To add to Rick's excellent recap of the Sinar system. I believe all the systems you mentioned, but for sure the Sinar, will allow easy upgrading of any camera in the line to one of the higher end models.

I'd look for a Sinar F2. You can upgrade it easily to a higher model, or a larger format (5x7 or 8x10) as you require.

Used F2s are plentiful, used Normas will be considerably older by default. Most accessories and parts are interchangeable among all the Sinars. The Sinars seem to be more common than the others you mention making it more of a buyer's market.

JD

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Dickerson View Post
    To add to Rick's excellent recap of the Sinar system. I believe all the systems you mentioned, but for sure the Sinar, will allow easy upgrading of any camera in the line to one of the higher end models.

I'd look for a Sinar F2. You can upgrade it easily to a higher model, or a larger format (5x7 or 8x10) as you require.

Used F2s are plentiful, used Normas will be considerably older by default. Most accessories and parts are interchangeable among all the Sinars. The Sinars seem to be more common than the others you mention making it more of a buyer's market.

JD

JD
    Not quite, a Norma or an Alpina won't convert to a P.

That is the difference between Sinar's philosophy and Linhof's. Sinar made a top end camera and used accessories from it to make less expensive models (C and Fs).

Linhof made each model a complete camera unto itself. So a Super Color JBL could not become a GT or GTL but the JBL (or its later versions including the current re) was a complete camera with full movements and seperate locks for each control.

I think highly of all the top brands -- Toyo, Cambo, Sinars, Horseman, Arca-Swiss -- and I know that some of the rare exotic brands like Fatif, Inka, and others made good cameras as well. In the USA, Sinars are very plentiful and not very expensive so you can build them as "systems" that can be extended. Cambos, Horseman, and Toyos are even greater bargains.

But the very best monorail cameras? One of the later Linhof cameras with both base and axis tilts, plus the appropriate tripod mounts. They are more expensive but have the highest quality of all. Even the base Linhof model is exceptionally well-made.

Cameras like the Arca-Swiss and Linhof Technikardan are capable monorails yet as compact and light as many field cameras.

I've had several Sinars over the years and think they are the best all-around quality for the money, the best value. In a Sinar, I would look more for condition than age, some have been used roughly and others may be mint.

With all of these, also look at the tripod head/mounting. In the case of Sinar, the Sinar Pan/Tilt head should be considered an important part of the camera. The Arcas and Linhofs also have superior quality heads that integrate with their cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Normas have axial tilts and close-fitting U-frames.
    Sorry, Rick, but the Normas all have base tilts.