Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Obsidian Aqua, catechol staining developer

Re: Obsidian Aqua, catechol staining developer

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Jay,

Could you give a starting point for Ilford PanF, expose box speed I guess, but process for how long at what temperature?

Thanks,

Cor
    Hi Cor,

OA and PF+ is one of my favorite combinations. A good starting point is:

OA 1:500, 70F, 8:00, agitate first 30 seconds, and then ten seconds/ minute.

The above should provide a point of departure for your own testing.

John,

I'm happy to share my work with other photographers, and I hope you find something useful in it.

Thanks Jay!

I'll report back (although it will be 35mm.....)), I just have to wait for sufficient light outside right now,

Best,

Cor

Hi Cor,

If you shoot in flat light, you might want to increase development a little. I think you'll like this combination.

Anyone knows where you get catechol in Canada?

/gth
    You can get catechol from Nymoc in Toronto. Email John Burrows: nymoc@bellnet.ca

I finally got caught up on some other pressing projects and had time to shoot a scene on which to test Obsidian Aqua developer, and offer the following comments:

1. The "A" portion of the developer was easy to mix, metabisulfite and catechol in distilled water. Rather than make a stock "B" solution, I added enough sodium sulfite to water to make a 6.66% working solution into which I added the 1:500 dilution of developer.

2. Following Jay's recommendation I developed 4x5 FP4+ for 9 minutes at 70 F. I agitated for the first 30 seconds, then 10 seconds every 2 minutes.

3. I got a nice, easily printable negative. Good contrast, same stain as I am accustomed to with Pyrocat.

4. To attempt to ascertain any difference in sharpness, I made an enlargement of a section of the negative with lots of detail at the highest magnification my setup will allow (actually as large as my anatomy will allow; with my eye to the focus finder I could just barely reach up to the focusing knob.) It is roughly equivalent to a 20x24" enlargement.

5. I compared this enlargement to an identical enlargement of another negative of the same film, exposed at the same time, but developed in Pyrocat HD, using semi-stand agitation. Using a strong magnifier, I "think" the O.A. enlargement is nominally sharper. I intended to scan and post the enlargements but they are so close that I am sure any differences would not survive the scanning and uploading process. At any rate, I feel comfortable stating that the O.A. enlargement is no worse than equally as sharp as the Pyrocat enlargement, even with more aggresive agitation.

6. As sharp as this negative is, I wonder if it could be improved with a less aggressive agitation routine, such as 30 seconds initial agitation followed by 10 seconds of agitation at the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 points, or even 1/3 and 2/3. I intend to explore this idea in the near future.

Thanks again to Jay for providing this developer, and for his generosity in sharing it here.

Dominik

Thank you Jay for providing once again an alternative developer. Have to try it as soon as I can get all the ingredients. Btw have you noticed that your stated amount of carbonate is the number of the beast 666 maybe that's why your developer works so well :-)

Dominik

Jay,

1. What is the shelf life of the Catechol compound by itself? Reason I ask because in Canada it needs to be shipped as a dangerous compound so I might as well get a fair amount while I am at it. In other words several years worth.

2. How much diluted solution is needed to develop a specific amount of film - as in film area per liter? Normailized to How many rolls 35 or 120 per liter or how many 4x5 sheets per liter etc. This estimate to be taken conservatively.... i.e assuming I would be fairly frivolous with its use - one shot type....

3. Also... has anyone used OA on X-ray film emulsions?

/gth

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6944259142_e12c16e728_b.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	73238

I've used OA with quite a few sheets of X-ray film now, and all I have to say is I'm in love! With that interval agitation Jay talks about on the first page, 1,2,4,8, etc., I'm able to shoot Green Latitude X-ray film @ ASA 320. This is, of course, considering I'm not stripping the emulsion, scanning and contact printing works fine. Here's a link to all the images I've already shot with OA as the developer, including 4 infrared shots as well (also great with OA!).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mat4226/tags/oa/

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    /gth
    I plan to test it soon with Kodak T-Mat Green Xray film, Mat Marrash (IIRC he is a LFF member too) already did it, check his flickr stream: http://flic.kr/p/bzD9iU
    Filippo

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Thanks for the correction, Claudio. Your pH calculation looks about right, too.
    So, is it 0.666% sodium carbonate solution or 6.66%? How many grams of sodium carbonate in 1000ml water? Thanks.