Thread: Any Tips On Loading Film Into SP445 In Darkroom

Any Tips On Loading Film Into SP445 In Darkroom

I have ditched the changing bag route and made a small room in the attic space where I can now load film in the dark.

I do seem to struggle a little loading the film in to the SP445 holders, I have tried placing the holder flat on a shelf and sliding the film in but always seem to miss the slots on the side of the holder. I get a bit more success by holding the holder upright but still struggle with these side slots as they are offset from each other.

Just curious how others do it.

Ian

Re: Any Tips On Loading Film Into SP445 In Darkroom

I lay the inserts flat, opening facing right. Then, as with a film holder, I put two fingers of my left hand near the first (top) tabs that hold the film. Holding the film in my right hand, I "feel" it under those tabs. Once it is under those tabs, it should slide evenly. It helps to practice in the light with exposed or discarded films.

(This assumes you are right-handed. Also that your films are not too wide. I had some slightly oversized film that fit in my holders but was just a little too wide for the SP445 inserts, and I had to cut it down. This was Berrger film that came with the camera, and I have had no trouble with other films so far. Again, it might pay to waste an exposure to test and practice in the light)

Hope this helps.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    I lay the inserts flat, opening facing right. Then, as with a film holder, I put two fingers of my left hand near the first (top) tabs that hold the film. Holding the film in my right hand, I "feel" it under those tabs. Once it is under those tabs, it should slide evenly. It helps to practice in the light with exposed or discarded films.

(This assumes you are right-handed. Also that your films are not too wide. I had some slightly oversized film that fit in my holders but was just a little too wide for the SP445 inserts, and I had to cut it down. This was Berrger film that came with the camera, and I have had no trouble with other films so far. Again, it might pay to waste an exposure to test and practice in the light)

Hope this helps.
    I load them backwards. In other words, I put the film in from the end that it should not go, (the end at the bottom of the tank when processing) and then once it is in between the side tabs, slide it back and click underneath the bottom/end tab. Works every time.

If that doesn’t work, just use an exposed piece of film that you don’t care about and practice till you find a system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for both suggestions, I shall persevere until I have mastered it