Hi Dan,

I'm experimenting with the geometric agitation scheme, but I'm not sure I can recommend it as having any practical advantage over more typical schemes. I'm not sure whether you mean FP4+, or HP5+.

For FP4+, try OA 1:500, 9:00, 70F, with a geo sequence of 30 seconds initial agitation followed by 10 seconds at 2:00, 4:00, 8:00, or a more standard sequence of 2:00, 4:00, 6:00.

For HP5+, try OA 1:500, 15:00, 70F, with a geo sequence of 30 seconds initial agitation followed by 10 seconds at 3:00, 6:00, 12:00, or a more standard sequence of 3:00, 6:00, 9:00, 12:00.

These are WAGs based on my experience with other films, and not on testing these films, so don't commit important films to these recommendations. Optimum development produces a negative with a density range suitable for the printing process, so one must know the exposure scale of the printing process, and the brightness range of the scene to determine best exposure and appropriate development. My WAGs should give you a printable image upon which to base further adjustments to exposure, development, and agitation. Be aware these low frequency agitation schemes will produce pronounced edge effects that might not be suitable for all images.

If you're wary of making up a liter of OA (quite a commitment), you can make 100ml:

Distilled water 70ml
Metabisulfite (sodium or potassium) 2g
Catechol 25g
Distilled water to 100ml

This will make 50 liters of 1:500 working solution, which should be enough to give you a good feel for its characteristics and working properties.

Good luck, and feel free to contact me with any questions or comments, here, or directly at:

jdefehr@gmail.com