Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Now this is LARGE format

Re: Now this is LARGE format

Well at 1070mm that means infinity focus is ~3 1/2 feet from the focalplane. Will the camera fold up that close? At f14 to start with and all that extension, the exposures must be glacial.

The whole thing (concept, camera, process and product) has my interest . . .but in the end, I still miss the point.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I don't think that the camera was built for infinity focus. The lens wouldn't cover 6ft x 4-1/2ft at infinity, anyways. It's built as a macro camera, for portraiture, and it has a narrow depth of field, as you'd expect. Yes, the exposures have to either be in full sun with a sitter braced in a chair, or else (as shown) with a freaking powerful flash.

From what Mr. Manarchy has written and said, he thinks that film is going away completely at some point soon, so this is his way of making a gargantuan statement about film. So he's linking the disappearance of film to the disappearance of languages and pocket cultures, and wants to build a huge monument to it all, with enlargements 25ft high. (Of course those will be printed on conventional inkjet billboard printers, but what the hey.) He wants a custom gallery/museum constructed, to provide the viewer/customer with an immersive experience. He wants his camera to tour the US as an event, in his words, like the circus coming to town. A big, bold attraction.

I don't think that an "artistic point" can be made without the construction of the museum/gallery. Without the display of gargantuan prints from a gargantuan camera, it just becomes something that others have done previously. However, I like it a whole lot better than the chimpanzee in Moscow.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Ok: Re-reading the thread and really looking at the pictures, I see that he has an enclosure built in the studio for a camera, and wishes that he could build the camera photoshoped onto that trailer. My best corrected vision is 20/200 and sometimes I don't squint hard enough.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!