Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel Tripod Recommendation?

Travel Tripod Recommendation?

Hi,

I've been musing on traveling light-ish, and I now turn my attention to tripods.

This tripod will go in a Pelican 1650 with other gear in cargo, so I'm trying to keep the 1650 weighing in at 23 kg (50 lbs) or less.

I need the following from a tripod:
    -lightweight
    -folds down to 26 inches or less (including head)
    -able to support a Technikardan with lens and Grafmatic
    -uses some kind of QR system (sorry, Tiltall fans)

I'm not looking at cost yet, just wondering what anyone can suggest.

Thanks in advance.

funkadelic

Re: Travel Tripod Recommendation?

This thread has the potential to spread like wildfire... aluminum vs basalt vs older/newer carbon fiber. With what you've got here, my Gitzo 1348 would fit the bill. It's the 4 section cousin of the popular 1325. While it is an older model, it is significantly less expensive than the current offerings. It compresses a little shorter (fitting your needs) and has a 3/8 bolt for whatever head/QR system you choose to add. It has the option of removing the flat plate and installing a rapid column or leveling base, but with some increase in height.

Chris, I know this may open a giant can of worms, but trying to find a light, small, sturdy tripod is kind of specific; has that been discussed here previously?
    Just to be safe, I'll put a spending limit of $250.

Thanks

How about a carbon fiber Feisol? I don't have one, but I've heard good things about them. For travel, I use an older carbon fiber Gitzo, a 1227 (I think). It's fine, but it might cost more than your limit.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, thanks; I hadn't considered the Feisol.
    They are meet or surpass all my needs except for price.
    I'll look more into it, though.

Thanks again.

Hi Ari,

Talk to Kerry at www.ReallyBigCameras.com. He's always been very helpful, and he won't try to sell you something that won't work for best for you.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Simply removing the column and/or head can always save a few inches in packing.

But... I think you're going to have to be careful using a heavy case like the Pelican 1650 and still staying under the 50lb airline limit with a Technikardan kit. You might better add up the weight of everything else and then come back to us to say that you want a sturdy yet tall tripod that is less than 26-inches folded yet can handle a 7-8 lb extended TechniKardan while still costing less than $250 and don't forget, most importantly, it has to weigh under the x-ounces you have left over from the rest of your kit ;-p

I'm on pins and needles, this will be fun to watch!

FWIW, in my opinion I'd substitute a used $100 1629 Lightware case for the Pelican and get a used metal Gitzo 326 for $150 and throw whatever other head you already have onto it or go without any head until you can afford to get a proper one, like a Linhof 3-way leveling head to go with your fine camera. That'd be the cheapest and most practical "right" way to do it. True you can't stand on a Lightware but at least they won't crack from standing on them, nor will they ding the walls or crush small children like a heavy, hard Peli is prone to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Hi Ari,

Talk to Kerry at www.ReallyBigCameras.com. He's always been very helpful, and he won't try to sell you something that won't work for best for you.
    Thanks, Peter, I'll send Kerry an email.

Hi Ari,
    I'm kind of with Frank on this one. That 1650 case weighs in around 33 pounds empty, so you have only 17 pounds to work with... camera and lens(es) 10 pounds?, film and stuff 2-3 pounds?, then tripod. As far as a tripod goes, here's a Gitzo on ebay that might do the trick, 4 pounds, and only $160.00.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-Report...item43ad56709c

Good luck with your hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Simply removing the column and/or head can always save a few inches in packing.

But... I think you're going to have to be careful using a heavy case like the Pelican 1650 and still staying under the 50lb airline limit with a Technikardan kit. You might better add up the weight of everything else and then come back to us to say that you want a sturdy yet tall tripod that is less than 26-inches folded yet can handle a 7-8 lb extended TechniKardan while still costing less than $250 and don't forget, most importantly, it has to weigh under the x-ounces you have left over from the rest of your kit ;-p

I'm on pins and needles, this will be fun to watch!

FWIW, in my opinion I'd substitute a used $100 1629 Lightware case for the Pelican and get a used metal Gitzo 326 for $150 and throw whatever other head you already have onto it or go without any head until you can afford to get a proper one, like a Linhof 3-way leveling head to go with your fine camera. That'd be the cheapest and most practical "right" way to do it. True you can't stand on a Lightware but at least they won't crack from standing on them, nor will they ding the walls or crush small children like a heavy, hard Peli is prone to do.
    Frank, as always, you point out some excellent stuff.
    FWIW, I have an excellent tripod, an Induro AT413; a high-end Gitzo clone that supports 45 lbs; however, it weighs 7+ lbs, and folds up at 30 inches-too long for a 1650, and too heavy.
    The 1650 case is about 11 lbs heavier than the Lightware 1629, but I paid $100 for a 1629, and I might have to wait a while for a used 1629 to come my way.
    It seems like a great idea, though, to go with a quality soft-ish case like the LW; as it is, I'd have to find one first.
    After I settle on a tripod, I'll let you know how I configured everything; I'll put lenses and film in the carry-on case (they likely won't weigh that one), and anything else that can keep the larger case to within 50 lbs.
    Also, on most int'l flights, the allowance goes up to 46kg (about 100 lbs), so I should be fine on long hauls.
    Or, if I can get my wife and daughter to pack light, I'll be in like Flynn!

Anyway, sorrry, I'm rambling; I will post photos and descriptions when all is done.
    I think I'll take a look at Feisols, and wait for the 1650 to arrive, then go from there.
    Thanks