Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using 4x10 film in 8x10 holders

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using 4x10 film in 8x10 holders

hey guys,

I've just been thinking. IF I was to use some of my spare 8x10 holders to shoot cut 4x10 film, how would you recommend I go about afixing the film into the middle of the 8x10 holder? I've considered taking some mat board(2-ply, black) and cutting away one ply, and using gaffers tape to secure the film into the holder's platen on both sides, smack dab in the middle. I know I can "just shoot 8x10 and crop", but I don't wanna . Why waste the other 1/2 of the sheet on just cutting it away?

This would negate me having to order a 4x10 back from Richard Ritter for my Calumet C-1, as well as remove the need for separate 4x10 holders. Saving me some money(which is always a nice thing to do ).

Just wondering if anyone else has ever done something like this before.

thanks

-Dan

Re: Using 4x10 film in 8x10 holders

C'mon, really?
    make a splitter board and use tape to label the exposed portion. Less hassle.

I'm only asking cuz I got a deal on some 4x10 film.

I've been using the split darkslide method , but I keep on having problems with the film shifting just enough for the (2) separate images to sometimes "merge" with each other...

-Dan

There was a thread recently showing someone's attempt to do this. Should work just fine (except did you mean using the gaffers tape on the film or to hold the matboard "rails" in the holder?)

And as I have mentioned a few times, I just use a modified darkslide to get two 4x10's on a single sheet of 8x10.

Advantages:

Very little extra weight carried (about half of a darkslide)
    One has two formats available all the time
    Buy 8x10 film w/o having to cut it, nor buying harder to find 4x10.
    Develop two 4x10's at the same time

Dis-advantages:

You have to develop two 4x10's on an 8x10 at the same time/temp.
    Centering the image difficult on the 4x10 if one does not have rise/fall, or
    Centering with short focal length lenses difficult with too much bellows
    People think you are not a serious photographer because you can't make up your mind which format you want to use before you leave the house (I have gotten that comment here!)

Vaughn

Editted -- oh, you know all about this!

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    People think you are not a serious photographer because you can't make up your mind which format you want to use before you leave the house (I have gotten that comment here!)
    Well I am out shooting right now with my 4x10 and my 8x10. I have a Canham and carry all three of my backs around in a special pouch I had made. I only have 4x10 film and 8x10 Harmon Direct Positive Paper with me. That remark hit me where it hurts Vaughn.

Thanks Vaughn,

I'll give it a shot one one holder, and report back with my results.

Dan

Deardorff Sales and service

I have one of 3 4x10 backs Deardorff built to fit a V8. I have half a dozen medical 4x10 holders. these came from a Vet when he went digital about 15 years ago. that said I hate cutting 8x10 film in half. I've built a dandy cutter but is a hassle. Since deardorff have a very tall front standard I can raise and lower the lens to fill two images on one sheet. How do I mask? I cut a dark slide in half except where it goes into the felt trap. I allowed a 1/8 inch lap. That gives me a 1/4 inch boarder down the middle. Easier than cutting the film
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Yeah, i have the overlap issue as well. I do love 4x10 though enough to deal with it.

I do not have the over-lap problem -- perhaps I leave just a bit more on the darkslide.

The actual image area of the resulting contact print is 3 5/8" x 9 5/8". When I slice the 8x10 neg in half, both 4x10 negs have about the same amount of rebate as a regular 8x10 negative.

Vaughn

MS -- when I got that comment on an early 4x10 thread, at first I could not believe someone could be so photographically anal and up-tight. Then I just laughed.

I still need to modify a darkslide for 8x8 negatives -- then I can match your three formats -- why be serious!

The medical holders will sometimes have metal darkslides -- these are nice to use for modification -- less likely to break in the field (BTDT).

Another thought... There are holders that use a slightly sticky surface to hold the film very flat instead of rails. Might be interesting to use for 4x10 (no rebate on the longer sides, though), or for any other odd size one wanted to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Another thought... There are holders that use a slightly sticky surface to hold the film very flat instead of rails. Might be interesting to use for 4x10 (no rebate on the longer sides, though), or for any other odd size one wanted to use.
    I've been considering that as an option too . Decisions decisions...

-Dan