Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photographing woods

Re: Photographing woods

You're in Sudek's territory: you couldn't have a better mentor.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Dear friends, thank you very much for your input and let me apologize for opening the thread and letting it just lie - I followed your responses but was too busy to join the discussion.

As a father of 2 (and VERY soon 3) small children I can rarely choose my time to go out according to light and weather, so I have to take what is on hand when I am out with my camera(s).
    There is something to figure about the 3D->2D vision, as some of you mention - will be trying to do this next time I'm out. But I find that while photographing woods, the secret lies even more in the intricate play of light than with other subjects - as is could be very well seen in J.Sudek's work, that Mike mentions.
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    It's a good scene for intimate landscapes and macros as well. For the intimate landscape sort of thing, borrow some Eliot Porter books (particularly the Maine images). He was a master in working in tight woods rather than grand landscapes. There are many more modern or abstract compositions doable if you want to diverge from his style.

I would agree with the others to check the places out in different light and figure out how to make 3d into a 2d image. I close one eye and move around in the scene to see things in 2d before setting up a camera.

Thin depth of field is another option, somewhat related to macro by style. Here is one (not mine) that I really like. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cr2512/...-13759696@N02/ With thin DOF, you'll start seeing 2d scenes in 2d planes rather than 3d. Here's one I did with thin DOF to contrast new and old in the wood http://jason.philbrook.us/~jp/scans/2012/img513.jpg
    "Intimate landscape" - now that's an expression worth remembering.. And very nice photographs.. Thank you.
    I'll look up Eliot Porter, though libraries here are very poor on photography books (other than Czech photographers').

It is very, very difficult. If you can pull it off you may be the world's greatest photographer.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Well i quite agree with this topic,
    Thanks for starting a really nice topic here .

Preston Birdwell

Andreios,

You will find many excellent examples of photographs of trees in this thread right here at the LF Forum.

You might also take a look at the work of Harley Goldman and Lon Everacker for more ideas and inspiration. I like making photographs of trees, as well. You can see them here.

"I'd agree that light is always important, but even more so to define the spaces between the trees..."
    The negative space, the spaces between the trees, is very important, and I totally agree with David's comment. The negative space will add materially to the perceived depth of the scene. Also, using a viewing card will be a great asset to your seeing how the elements of a scene interact with one another while also eliminating the distraction of adjacent areas.

Viewing images of forests, or forest details is helpful and inspirational, but nothing beats going out and keeping your eyes wide open to the possibilities all around you.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Windless overcast days are nice to work with. It is like having a big softbox overhead.
    Yup. It's easier to add contrast than to remove contrast.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Friends, thank you for keeping this thread alive.. I am still very much concerned about this. As the weather is now a bit more reasonable here, I've done quite a lot of "looking" - (as far as looking-after those two pairs of small feet trying to jump into streams allows) - I have a small stack of 35mm and MF films waiting and am very curious about what shall I see on the contact sheets..

Preston, thank you for the links.. maybe I should really just stick to the viewing card - it would be quicker than finding time for darkroom.. :-)

Andreios, some woods just don't lend themselves to being photographed. Too thick, too much underbrush, etc. But you can usually find something interesting by moving closer, say some rocks, a group of trees, a pattern of light, depends on your woods. Just spend time in the woods, you will find photos.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Just spend time in the woods, you will find photos.
    This is perhaps the best advice one could obtain.. And does not limit itself on woods I presume.
    Thank you.