Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum pump

Vacuum pump

Could anyone provide some more information on a Thomas vacuum pump? Here are the specifications from the Gardner Denver site:

Model Number: 007CDC19
    Product Family / Type: Diaphragm
    Operating Mode: Vacuum
    Medium: Gas
    Vacuum Flow Rate: 0.7 cfm / 18.4 l/min
    Vacuum Continuous: 23.0 in.Hg / -780 mbar
    Max Intermittent Vacuum: 23.0 in.Hg / -780 mbar
    Max Vacuum Restart: 23.0 in.Hg / -780 mbar
    Energy Supply: DC
    Voltage: 12V
    Motor Rating: 22.4 W
    Current Drawn: 3.8 A
    Motor Type: Permanent Magnet
    Motor Protection Class: F
    Speed: 2800 rpm
    Weight: 2.90 lb / 1.30 kg
    Ambient Temperature: min.50 °F / 10 °C
    Ambient Temperature: max.104 °F / 40 °C
    Stroke: 0.20 in / 4.8 mm

My questions are:
    1. Is it perfectly safe to power it using a 12V/60W/5A AC/DC protected converter for halogen/LED lights?
    2. Does it look powerful enough to give enough pull for, say, a 30x40" FB double-weight sheet (horizontal projection)?
    3. Do the length and bends in the hose affect vacuum pull?

Thanks.
    LF_rtb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vacpump1.jpg   vacpump2.jpg   vacpump3.jpg   vacpump4.jpg  

I'm not sure about the electrical requirements, but I think you would want a vane pump and not a diaphragm for an easel pump. A diaphragm pump would work for a contact frame to suck glass down but I think the pulsing on an easel would not be ideal. I could be wrong however
    Regards
    Erik

Re: Vacuum pump

Erik, do you mean the pull of this type of pump isn't completely constant and continuous for a vertical easel?

That right, it pulses as the diaphragm moves vs say the continuous suction of say a vacuum cleaner.
    Regards
    Erik

Thanks, Erik.

A vacuum chamber can filter out pulsations from the diaphram pump. Kinks in a vacuum line would affect performance, but modest bends won't. The vane type vacuum pumps I once used for 32x40 graphic arts film were much larger, with maybe 1/4 HP motors. They would draw down to about 24 PSI. Requirements for contact printing halftones is much more stringent than holding photo paper in a vertical easel. EVen a lowly vacuum cleaner might work for a well designed easel. You may need a clamp to hold the top of the paper during draw-down.

Jim, say a 32x45" large, 2" thick easel has two inner compartments connected with a tunnel. The inner vertical third is separate and doesn't have a grid of holes on the top surface. The pump's inlet is on top and connects to the middle of the aforementioned tunnel. Could this design minimize the pulsations from this particular pump?

If your easel is 2 inches thick, I would just hook up a vacuum cleaner to it. I've done 40x50 inch prints on a peg board easel with a vacuum cleaner without problems except the exhaust port of the vacuum cleaner fills the darkroom with warm air pretty fast. I have a diaphragm pump for my contact frame and it would not hold enough compared to my vacuum cleaner on my set up. If you don't have a vacuum cleaner that would work, a decent vane pump is probably as expensive or more than a quality vacuum cleaner or shop vac. IMO, I just don't think you will be happy with a diaphragm pump. If you already have the pump give it a try, maybe I'm just sucking air (pun intended)
    Regards
    Erik

Erik, the pump is available to me at cca. U$25, but, apparently, it seems even that's too much. I would rather use something a little less noisy and cleaner than a shop vac. What about various water pumps? I've looked into those and some are oil-less and rotary (though more than $25...).

Sorry, I'm not sure if a water pump would work and you're right that a vacuum cleaner is noisy for sure. I put mine in closet and ran a hose to the easel. Wish I could be more helpful.
    Regards
    Erik