Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evenness of paper drum development?

Evenness of paper drum development?

I'm interested in getting a used Unicolor drum (and motor base) to develop 20x24 fiber-base paper. It seems that this combination would actually cost less than four good quality 20x24 trays.

My concern is whether using a Unicolor drum would produce even development for the paper.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any thoughts on the matter!

--Philip.

Re: Evenness of paper drum development?

I have processed color paper in unicolor drums and it worked fine.
    I don't see why it wouldn't work with B&W. Color is a run to completion process that does not vary print to print and B&W can benefit from development by inspection. That is the only difference that I can see. I always like to see the image come up in the developer so I would never use a drum for B&W. YMMV

for RC B&W paper its great !
    But not so good for fiber-base paper as you can't how it is doing like what Robert said
    Color is a run to completion process that does not vary print to print {{B&W RC completion process
    but fiber-base paper don't}}and B&W can benefit from development by inspection

Thanks for the replies so far.

I actually try to develop all my B&W paper to completion using a compensating development timer, so I don't avail myself of development by inspection when developing paper.

Anyone got experience with the evenness of paper development in a Unicolor drum? Perhaps someone who has developed film in one might have experience that's relevant?

Thanks,
    --Philip.

Philip,
    I have processed both color RC paper and 4x5 film in a Unicolor 8x10 drum and didn't notice any uneven development. I have used an 11x14 drum for paper and again noticed no uneven development. One of the big variables to good development is the amount of developer that you use. Don't go for the minimum amount, but use about 1/2 again as much. I have never heard of anyone using one of these drums for FB paper and that is not saying that it can't be done.
    I am also not sure if Unicolor even made a 20x24 drum. The roller, unless you modify it will not turn that big a drum the required revolutions. I just tried my expert drum (diameter 8") and it only turned it about 3/4 of a turn, not good enough for even development. My film drum and the 8x10 drums turn about 1 and1/2 turns per revolution.

The Unicolor drums and rollers are great and I have used them for over thirty years with success, used within the perimeters for which they were designed.

I hope this helps in your decision making.

Cheers,
    Robert

That's very helpful information, Robert. Thank you!

girl cadet photographer miss_emma_jade's Avatar

I've processed up to 8x10 in mine. I like the results. Only problem is if the drum isn't tracking evenly and falls off the motor when ur not watching. check it first to make sure it tracks straight with just a load of water,

Quote Originally Posted by philipmorg View Post
    I'm interested in getting a used Unicolor drum (and motor base) to develop 20x24 fiber-base paper. It seems that this combination would actually cost less than four good quality 20x24 trays.
    From developing 20x24 RC paper in a home-made drum, the evenness of development depends largely on agitation, which, for this particular drum/PE pipe, has a bit to do with your muscles and stamina.
    But the actual cost of four good quality 20x24 trays for FB prints need not be big. Three 25x31 trays cost me around $60. The price included a slightly warped piece of 1/4" marine-grade plywood sold at a discount, cheapest two-part epoxy I could find (locally made), super-cheap talc and fiberglass cloth and two-part polyurethane paint, also locally made.

Quote Originally Posted by LF_rookie_to_be View Post
    From developing 20x24 RC paper in a home-made drum, the evenness of development depends largely on agitation, which, for this particular drum/PE pipe, has a bit to do with your muscles and stamina.
    But the actual cost of four good quality 20x24 trays for FB prints need not be big. Three 25x31 trays cost me around $60. The price included a slightly warped piece of 1/4" marine-grade plywood sold at a discount, cheapest two-part epoxy I could find (locally made), super-cheap talc and fiberglass cloth and two-part polyurethane paint, also locally made.
    Thanks for those thoughts! It seems like the evidence against using a drum to develop 20x24 FB paper is mounting...

--Philip.

Philip,
    A number of years ago I purchased used machine that I think was used for smooting down rocks. It had two four foot rollers which one was belt driven by a motor. I laid
    a 55 gallon plastic drum on the two rollers and the drum would roll around. I cant tell you how many large type C color prints and black and white prints I made with this Rube
    Goldberg rig but the prints were all even and turned out fine. For the black and white
    prints I just look into the drum to inspect the print progress and quickly dumped the
    drum and put in rapid fix. Worked out swell for me. David Phillips