Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara 4x5 focusing screen

Tachihara 4x5 focusing screen

I would like to check if that's any alternative for the original focusing screen and fresnel lens. As I have some problem while composing in dim light with a 90mm lens.

The standard screen on the Tachihara is pretty bright already, IMO. Anyway, mine sure beats my old Calumet. Are you using a dark cloth? Perhaps using some Velcro to seal up the darkcloth, and a little time for your eyes to adjust, will help. A lot of 90mm lenses are not very fast (like f/8) and you reach a point where you're just stuck with what you see...

I just installed a Maxwell screen in a Wista VX. It is not as bright in the center as the Wista screen, but is somewhat more evenly illuminated with wide lenses.

Check www.wyomingphotographers.com/velveteen.html I saw the screen that they have on the website an am quite impressed. I am thinking of getting one. Please check it out and tell me your opinion since I am also interested. Chrstian

The velveteen screen looks interesting, but I have a lot of questions. It uses 1/16" glass on both sides of the imaging layer; if that is simply placed into a camera just like a regular groundglass, then the actual screen image will be 1/16" farther from the lens than the film plane. Equals focusing error. IIRC, a flat plate will change the focus roughly 1/3 of its thickness; is that closer to the lens or farther? Too lazy to figure it out, but my point is that (unless they have taken heroic measures to correct it) this screen is going to be difficult to match to the film plane. There isn't enough info on their web page to really know, IMO.

Alan, I have asked that question myself to the creator of this gadget. He says that the screen is factory shimmed so that all you have to do is install it. I don't know anymore about this, excep that I want to try it.

I have asked that question myself to the creator of this gadget.

That's encouraging! If you go with this, keep us posted on your results.

I own a Tachihara 4x5, with the fresnel screen and it is a lot brighter than both the 1974-vintage Arca Swiss and later, 1981 Ikeda-Anba that I owned. Might work on the dark cloth's effectiveness, etc., instead, as suggested above.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Thanks to all for your inputs. Well, I've email Greg (Velveteen View Screen) the dimensions of my Tachihara focusing glass and fresnel screen.

I'll keep you guys posted on the development.

I have an Intenscreen on my older Tachinhara because I wanted it brightened which it does quite well. My new one doesn't need one. I'd be happy to sell my Intenscreed to you. As you would expect, it is already cut to fit a Tachinhara. Or, go to http://www.intenscreen.com/ on the internet.