Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fastest lens for 8x10?

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: fastest lens for 8x10?

am having trouble creating links

but if any one can be bothered i have a burning question re lens sizes used for this camera.

john brady is selling the camera on this site under the title 8x10 arial/point and shoot.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=86499&highlight=8x10+point+shoot

"From the front to rear it measures about 7.5 inches.
    One cone is aprox 9 inc,
    one is 3 inch
    and the third is recessed into the body so negative two inch. I
    am not sure what lenses these are built for but you can do the math, 16.5, 10.5 and 4.5 inches. "

if any one can work out the correct lens's

you will go down in history as a champ!

bellow is another attempt at a link

http://http://farm8.staticflickr.com...c13718c7_b.jpg

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

just to ad urgency to this thread, i was having trouble paying for camera, and i got the jitters, as i am not sure i can get the right lens's for camera, so i have post poned the sale pending info,

so as usual your insights are appreciated.

andrew
    through a glass darkly...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    tell me please, if a lens is in focus at infinity, which for many a lens will be after say 30 meters, then surly dof should not be an issue?
    DOF depends on a lot of things and focus distance is just one of them. In the sort of application you're talking about, I'm guessing your main intention behind shooting 8x10 is resolution. And higher the resolution... lower the DOF.

Who knows... maybe things will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    I am not sure what lenses these are built for but you can do the math, 16.5, 10.5 and 4.5 inches. "
    Which means lenses with focal lengths that are approximately those numbers can be made to focus to infinity.

Look in the auction site for helicoid focusing mounts first. They'll help you make fine adjustments to the focus which you will need to do.

After that you can add the thickness of the focusing mount to the lengths of the cones to approximate focal lengths required to focus close to infinity. You will also need to make sure the focusing mounts are compatible with the lenses you intend to use (in terms of diameter and size).

To put it in other words... it's going to be a bit of an adventure to get everything to work together. Go for it if you're in for it.

It's not all that complicated. For aerial work, focus is fixed at infinity. So buy/build a box camera with the lens shimmed to achieve infinity focus; DOF is absolutely not an issue. The fastest realistic speed on a leaf-shutter lens is 1/250, that may be a problem if you're thinking low-altitude work; of course a slow airplane like a C-152 or a Super Cub will combat the camera-motion issue. And the higher you go, the less contrast your subject will have, so (in B/W at least) N+? development will be a good thing. A yellow filter will cut the haze, too.