Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIlm holder logistics.

girl cadet photographer miss_emma_jade's Avatar

FIlm holder logistics.

hey guys n gals. here is the thing. I am intending to travel a bit more with my new 4x5 chamonix when it arrives. (in particularly a trip to the USA in february).the problem with large format for me, is the amount of bulk that darkslides take up in a bag. what are the other options. I want something i can load in a hotel room, (maybe a dark bag) and shoot maybe 20 sheets in a day and then put them back in a box for processing at night.. is such a thing possible??

ideas anyoone???

EMMA
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower,
    Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    And eternity in an hour.
    - William Blake

Re: FIlm holder logistics.

Many hotels have bathrooms with no windows, and so with a little physical discomfort film can be changed in them (like, leaning over the bathtub, but I can usually sit on the throne and put holders on the edge of the bathtub without disaster. Usually). Stuff a towel along the bottom crack of the door. Depending on how you develop, carry one or several empty boxes to hold undeveloped film. In a real pinch, you can put undeveloped film underneath the unexposed packet of film in your open film box, but that's a little scary to me. So, I carry a Normal development empty box, and a Plus Development, because those are my only two options. Add a box or two of unexposed film, and I'm good to go.

I'd also suggest that if you think you'll use ten holders, have 15. The worst thing in the world would be to use the last holder 5 minutes before seeing the picture of the day. Stay away from changing bags - they are dust nightmares. Harrison Tents are nice, but pricey and bulky. Better to use that space for more holders.

Travel well, and enjoy.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Thanks Bruce.
    Around here i usually carry 5 darkslides for a day out on foot. thats about as much as I can shoot in a day. on vacation id like to shoot a few panoramas though maybe, for instance, etc. however, a 20 sheets in a day might be possible if i had someway to carry it. what a dillemma.
    And eternity in an hour.
    - William Blake

About the only option I've seen for a more compact holder that is still reasonably available is the Graflex Grafmatic, which holds six sheets in a package about the size of 1-1/2 regular film holders. It's nothing like as compact as, say, Fuji Quickloads, but any improvement is better than none. Two of those should fulfill your requirements.

Here's an article about it: http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

More compact but very difficult to find is the Mido film holder system. I remember reading about that maybe 20 years ago and wanting it, but I never bought it when it was being made and now they don't come up often.

Rick "still working from freezer full of Quickloads, but only for color" Denney

do those grafmatic things really work??

theyre expensive and complicated. having said that ive never seen one up close.

Emma
    And eternity in an hour.
    - William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by miss_emma_jade View Post
    do those grafmatic things really work??
    Apparently they do. When one comes up for sale on this forum for $75 or so, it usually sells within minutes.

I've considered them several times, but for what I do, the regular double-sided film holders are workable, and for color work I'm still drawing down my Quickload supply.

Rick "who'll get a Grafmatic eventually" Denney

I think a helpful addition to a kit is a 120 back, either a panoramic one or just 6x7/6x9. Use them when appropriate and it'll cut down your 4x5 film usage. Not every shot needs to be 4x5.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I think a helpful addition to a kit is a 120 back, either a panoramic one or just 6x7/6x9. Use them when appropriate and it'll cut down your 4x5 film usage. Not every shot needs to be 4x5.
    yes ive given this some thought too..
    And eternity in an hour.
    - William Blake

Is anyone out there using Grafmatic magazines?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The Harrison tents do have the advantage that you can reload the film holders out in the field.You can reload in a diner, at a picnic table, or use the hood of your car as a hasty workbench. If you use the car hood, choose your location carefully; you won't be able to swat mosquitos with both arms inside the tent.

Evenings, working in the hotel bathroom will be more convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    Many hotels have bathrooms with no windows, and so with a little physical discomfort film can be changed in them (like, leaning over the bathtub, but I can usually sit on the throne and put holders on the edge of the bathtub without disaster. Usually). Stuff a towel along the bottom crack of the door. Depending on how you develop, carry one or several empty boxes to hold undeveloped film. In a real pinch, you can put undeveloped film underneath the unexposed packet of film in your open film box, but that's a little scary to me. So, I carry a Normal development empty box, and a Plus Development, because those are my only two options. Add a box or two of unexposed film, and I'm good to go.

I'd also suggest that if you think you'll use ten holders, have 15. The worst thing in the world would be to use the last holder 5 minutes before seeing the picture of the day. Stay away from changing bags - they are dust nightmares. Harrison Tents are nice, but pricey and bulky. Better to use that space for more holders.

Travel well, and enjoy.