Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hand held 4x5 camera

Armentor1

hand held 4x5 camera

I'm starting to look for a 4x5 setup that can be used off a tripod for portraits using the fuji instant film. I'm thinking a clean crown or speed Graphic with rangefinder so I don't have to check the ground glass. Are these Kalart rangefinders accurate? What should I expect to pay for a setup like this? Are the bulbs for the flash kits still available to purchase somewhere?

dave

Re: hand held 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by armentor1@mac.com View Post
    I'm starting to look for a 4x5 setup that can be used off a tripod for portraits using the fuji instant film. I'm thinking a clean crown or speed Graphic with rangefinder so I don't have to check the ground glass. Are these Kalart rangefinders accurate? What should I expect to pay for a setup like this? Are the bulbs for the flash kits still available to purchase somewhere?
    Kalart rangefinders can be calibrated to be accurate, especially within the abilities of instant film.

A Crown is smaller and lighter because it doesn't have the focal-plane shutter. Price for a good one is in the $200-400 range, depending on beauty and how much of a hurry you are in. That's without flash. The flash handles sell for too much because they were the prop used in Star Wars for a light saber. But it will include a 127mm or 135mm lens for which the rangefinder is already calibrated.

I'm given to understand that one can still find bulbs, but it would be easier to use an electronic flash with a cable that will adapt the lens's Bi-Post flash synch connection to the PC connection needed by a flash. You can either attach a hot shoe to the camera (with a cable to the lens) or use a potato-masher flash or side grip with shoe. An old-style non-TTL automatic flash like a Vivitar 283 will be perfect--set the f-stop on the lens and fire away.

Rick "easy-peasy" Denney

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Three additional comments:

1. Flash bulbs are still available and give out a LOT of light - sometimes too much and they get hard to control. The reliability of the bulbs is generally good but since they are all fairly old that can't be guaranteed and sometimes entire boxes turn out to be duds. Prices vary, but 75 cents each is a normal low price.

2. Often a "non-Crown" version will be priced more competatively.

3. Make sure you know what shutter you are buying. For strobe you'll need one that X synchs.

Flash bulbs are still made - in Ireland.

Link >>> http://www.meggaflash.com/

>>> Jim

What about one of the 4x5 Polaroid conversions? This is exactly what they were cewated for. and how they are used.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Yeah, get a converted Polaroid. The difference in size and weight from a Crown/Speed Graphic is enormous, RF focusing is easier and more precise, and the price for a really nice Graphic with everything working and in proper order is almost as much as the cheaper Polaroid conversions. I also adapted an electronic flash to my Polaroid and it works like a charm (make sure the shutter you get has an X sync port), and that is a lot less hassle/expensive than flashbulbs.

I've seen Polaroid conversions for use with 3x4 film for as low as $500. Nicer ones that can use traditional 4x5 film I think start around $700 or so. More boutique options go up from there. My Polaroid 900 with a Schneider Xenotar 135/3.5 came to about $1200.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The only 4 X 5, instant Fuji pack film still in production is the color, FP100c45.
    The B&W, Fuji 4 X 5 instant pack, FP3000b45, last production run/shipments are as we speak.
    So, the reliable, fresh dated supply of 4 X 5, B&W Fuji pack may only last another year.
    The demise of color in 4 X 5, instant pack, may not be too far behind.

You can refrigerate peel apart instant film, but you can't freeze it. The developing tubes rupture when frozen.

The production, and availability of color and B&W, in the 3.25 X 4.25 size seems to be continuing for the near foreseeable future.

A Mamiya Press/Universal or a Polaroid (Mamiya) 600 may have longer usefulness, as these cameras use the 3.25 X 4.25 instant pack size.

There are pack film holders for 4 X 5 backed cameras that can accept the 4 X 5, instant pack film, and there are smaller backs for 4 X 5 cameras that accept the smaller 3 1/4 by 4 1/4 instant pack films.

The larger backs are the Polaroid 550 or Fuji PA-45.
    Smaller backs are the Polaroid 405 or Fuji PA-145

Armentor1

this is a lot to digest, i was originally thinking that this would be a somewhat inexpensive outfit to get into. I'm also a little hesitant to purchase equipment specifically for the instant film if it is so close to being discontinued. That being said these Polaroid conversions are pretty interesting.

thanks for all of the info -
    dave

graflex super graphic //graflex speed graphic

Personally I'd stay with a Crown or better still Super Graphic, I use both for hand held work. The advantage is interchangeable lenses compared to a Polaroid conversion.

I could use the rangefinder on the Crown but prefer to compose/focus on the screen, it's still very quick and easy.

You need a decent lens that covers properly 127 Ektars and 135mm Tessar/Xenars are poor. I've a Paragon f4.5 7½” (180mm) that would be superb for portraits and I also more modern aCaltar (Symmar) f5.6 135mm.

Perhaps what surprised me is the quality I get using a hand-held 5x4 camera and HP5, and you need a bit of mass to help you counter possible camera shake.

Ian