Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a dream...

I have a dream...

...to bring all my gear with me and stow it in the overhead compartment on my next international flight.
    I'm just talking cameras, lenses, and film; the rest can go in cargo, no problem.

Here's the problem:

I have a Pelican 1510, carry-on size, which holds all my LF gear perfectly.
    I also have a Tenba Roadie, the large one, also carry-on, and slightly larger than the Peli.
    I can fit all my stuff, the LF, MF and digi gear, in the Tenba, but it's quite heavy; if I'm asked to weigh it, I'm up a creek.
    I can take the LF in the Peli as carry-on, leaving the MF and digi gear to the cold confines of cargo and baggage handlers.
    Will the MF/digi cameras be safe from the cold on a trans-Atlantic flight?
    Anyone have a suggestion as to how to proceed? I still have to bring clothes and a toothbrush, and that's my luggage limit.

I just bought the Tenba, so I have 15 days to return it, if anyone has a better suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Re: I have a dream...

If the stuff is well packed i see no problem in the cargo hold. It might be worth paying out the ass and buying another "luggage tag" from the airline. I know it is expensive international but that way you could just check the pelican.

I would not stress carry on weight too much if flying on US based airlines.
    david

Ari:

The cargo holds are heated with exhaust air from the cabin. Theoretically, the luggage in the cargo hold is the same temp as your carry-ons in the overhead bins.

Jeff

Thanks David and Jeff.
    My luggage always feels cold, I assume it must be less comfortable in cargo, but maybe you're right.
    If it is indeed very cold, any chance of damage from 8-10 hours of cold? In a Pelican?

My wife suggests returning the Tenba, getting a slightly larger Pelican, putting all the gear in there for cargo, and using my carry-on Peli for film and clothes.
    After arrival, I use the small Peli for carrying the 4x5 gear, and a small soft case for when I use the MF or digi.
    Sounds good, but I'll sleep on it.

Please chime in if you have any ideas.
    Thanks

If it's logistically possible, UPS/Fedex/Mail your pelican case (with film) ahead before you travel.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    If it's logistically possible, UPS/Fedex/Mail your pelican case (with film) ahead before you travel.
    That is a given, when it has to be done; thank you, jp.
    I'm going to go with the Pelican 1560, put my gear in it for flights, and keep the 1510 for day trips with the 4x5.

Just make sure your loaded 1560 doesn't go over 50 lbs or you may have some hefty overweight fees to pay. I've never had my carryon bags weighed, but they always weigh the checked bags when you check them in.

Will your tripod fit in the 1560?

Not sure if I'll ever figure out a perfect travel solution. But now I'm using a Pelican 1700 as baggage. It's a long narrow case with wheels and it fits my tripod, changing tent, some extra/backup gear (a less-frequently used lens or two, extra camera parts, small tool kit for camera repairs, etc.), some extra film holders (unloaded of course) and my clothes (not too many clothes, obviously, but that depends on how much other gear I stuff in there).

I love to travel with at least one Peli case since I tend to stay in what would politely be described as budget accommodations. I can chain the peli to something and lock it shut. Of course someone could steal the whole thing if they wanted to, but it does prevent petty pilfering. During the day I lock my film and extra gear in there; at night if I go out for non-photographic activities I can also throw in my main gear and lock it up.

I always try to carry on my gear, at least the main camera and my most-used lenses. I figure if my baggage was lost or delayed I can always pick up a cheap tripod locally so I can start shooting and not lose days. It would be harder to replace a set of LF or MF gear.

You may want to consider carrying on your roadie or 1510 and seeing what else you could squeeze into something like the 1700 which would also protect your tripod.

Perhaps if you took the 1510 you could fit your LF camera and most used lens or two, and your MF or Digicam also with a lens or two? You could check the less-frequently used lenses.

As far as the issues you raised in your initial post, I'd hate to steer you wrong, but I've travelled a whole lot to a lot of places and I've never had my carry-on bag weighed. Of course there's a first time for everything.

Also, when I was on staff at a newspaper the staff was encouraged to leave our gear in the car trunk at all times, including overnight in the wintertime. We never had any problems with 35mm film or digital gear being in a cold car trunk overnight.

I don't know how cold the baggage hold is (though they do put people's pets down there, so it can't be too bad), but I don't think you'd have a problem. Perhaps your luggage feels cold since it does sit outside for a while as the plane is loaded and unloaded. But I'd be much more worried about damage (probably not a problem in a Pelican Case), theft or loss.

Thanks, Noah; I was hoping you'd chime in, we both use the 1510 with the same camera, and almost the same lenses.
    I'm now looking into a 1650 for cargo, 1510 as carry-on, and buying a smaller tripod for travel.
    You raise some good points, and I hadn't thought of a long case, figuring the tripod I have will be too bulky (Induro AT413); but it's an interesting option.
    In any case, I returned the Tenba soft rolling case, nice as it was, and i'm in the market for a larger Peli.

Thanks again.

The 1510 is really nice. For my trip to Mumbai (and my upcoming trip to Mexico City), I went with the Technika instead of the TK so I used a backpack instead. But the 1510 fits in with the kind of work I like the TK for, so it's a nice fit. That tenba roadie looks nice too, but you can't stand on it. And I know some will disagree, but the ONLY way I would check photo equipment as baggage is in a Pelican or other ATA approved case, so while I know you intend to use it as a carry-on, it's kind of nice that you could check the 1510 if you were forced to for some reason.

You might look into one of the long cases. They're kind of ideal for a tripod, clothes and a bit of extra gear, though you may be talking about a bit too much extra to fit. The 1700 isn't actually all that long, the measurements conform to most airline's checked baggage rules. The only downside is it doesn't come with dividers. You can either buy the case with foam or empty, and they're the same price at B&H so I got the foam. I leave the top foam in and just use my clothing as padding on the other sides. The long cases themselves aren't too heavy, which is good for keeping under the weight limit.

I don't know about you but I'm always on a budget, so excess baggage fees and overweight/oversize fees are things to be avoided at all cost.
    Last edited by Noah A; 14-Feb-2012 at 13:15. Reason: clarification

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Thanks David and Jeff.

My wife suggests...
    Well, you have 2 carry-on sized camera cases, and you're 2 people? Hmmm.... Why not get your wife to carry one of them? Oh, never mind. Mine wouldn't go for it either. In fact, I usually have to make room in mine for some of her crap. Er, essentials. I suppose we have very different working definitions of the word 'essential'.

My personal solution was to find a Pelican-style or Samsonite or whatever rigid large-size suitcase as my checked bag, anything that wasn't overly sensitive to temperature changes went in there, wrapped in t-shirts and underwear. Such as my Speed Graphic and film holders, on my last trip. I don't know what make it is, I found it at the local flea-market for $10 because it was closed and the seller couldn't figure out the combination. I couldn't either, but after a couple of hours' trying, I did find a crowbar. It's not as hermetically-sealed as Pelican cases, but in practice I've found that just means it doesn't look like it's collapsing in on itself when I pick it up on the luggage carousel. I don't know what temperature they keep the baggage hold, but I do know they're not pressurized, and I wouldn't send any of my good lf lenses in the hold because I don't know how well vented they might be, and what abrupt & major changes in atmospheric pressure would do to one.
    Last edited by Jody_S; 14-Feb-2012 at 14:28. Reason: None