Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have a dream...

Re: I have a dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Well, you have 2 carry-on sized camera cases, and you're 2 people? Hmmm.... Why not get your wife to carry one of them? Oh, never mind. Mine wouldn't go for it either. In fact, I usually have to make room in mine for some of her crap. Er, essentials. I suppose we have very different working definitions of the word 'essential'.

My personal solution was to find a Pelican-style or Samsonite or whatever rigid large-size suitcase as my checked bag, anything that wasn't overly sensitive to temperature changes went in there, wrapped in t-shirts and underwear. Such as my Speed Graphic and film holders, on my last trip. I don't know what make it is, I found it at the local flea-market for $10 because it was closed and the seller couldn't figure out the combination. I couldn't either, but after a couple of hours' trying, I did find a crowbar. It's not as hermetically-sealed as Pelican cases, but in practice I've found that just means it doesn't look like it's collapsing in on itself when I pick it up on the luggage carousel. I don't know what temperature they keep the baggage hold, but I do know they're not pressurized, and I wouldn't send any of my good lf lenses in the hold because I don't know how well vented they might be, and what abrupt & major changes in atmospheric pressure would do to one.
    Jody,
    Here is where your argument (an excellent one, by the way) breaks down: we have a 20-month-old daughter.
    All bets are off, and I have to fend for myself.
    As for the gear, I will likely be buying a 1650 for all of it, and I think that, in a Pelican, it will be safe from temperature and pressure variations in the cargo hold.
    If anyone has experience otherwise, please let me know.
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Jody_S;847616)....... I don't know what temperature they keep the baggage hold, but I do know they're not pressurized, and I wouldn't send any of my good lf lenses in the hold because I don't know how well vented they might be, and what abrupt & major changes in atmospheric pressure would do to one.[/QUOTE]

All modern airliners have pressurized cargo holds and are heated. Imagine what your pets, toothpaste, and shampoo would be like at -63C and a pressure differential between sea level pressure and the pressure at 40,000ft if the holds weren't pressurized and heated. The conditioned air in the cargo hold is probably about 50F, or the same as your living room at night. Have you ever driven over a mountain pass with your LF gear and then down the other side? The pressure and temp changes would be similiar to taking a flight in the cargo hold.Your gear will be fine. Really. Just like Fido.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    All modern airliners have pressurized cargo holds and are heated. Imagine what your pets, toothpaste, and shampoo would be like at -63C and a pressure differential between sea level pressure and the pressure at 40,000ft if the holds weren't pressurized and heated. The conditioned air in the cargo hold is probably about 50F, or the same as your living room at night. Have you ever driven over a mountain pass with your LF gear and then down the other side? The pressure and temp changes would be similiar to taking a flight in the cargo hold.Your gear will be fine. Really. Just like Fido.

Jeff
    Groovy; thanks, Jeff.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
    The dream is now over, or rather it has been modified
    I have purchased a Pelican 1650 from a forum member, and plan to stow that in cargo with the bulk of my gear.

I've gotten into the habit of taking the 4x5 with three lenses in a carry-on, but I order film and have it shipped to my destination. (if I'm visiting friends or family, they know film is coming and they put it in a fridge for me.) I've also been known to ship the tripod, or let them put it in the hold.

I bought these nice lens wraps ten years ago and that pads everything really well.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell