Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shen-Hao Ground Glass

Shen-Hao Ground Glass

Hi,

I finally got my Shen-Hao 4x5 and I am excited to dip my feet into LF photography. Even though I am absolutely excited about my first LF camera, there is one thing that bothers me a tiny bit. The GG seems to be really dark and a little hard to focus. I was wondering if you can recommend a different GG or a fresnel lens, to make it a bit brighter. At the moment even under the darkcloth it is very hard to see. When using the loupe it is a little better though. Since I am an absolute newbie when it comes to LF, I was wondering if this is normal and just the way it is, or if there is something I can do to improve this.

Thank you very much in advance and sorry if this is a stupid question
    Kindest regards
    Dennis

Lachlan 717

Re: Shen-Hao Ground Glass

What lens/lenses are you using?

A decent fresnel will certainly improve the image, as, too, will a Steve Hopf, Yankee et al after-market GG.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Just to be sure, are you focussing with lens wide open?
    Regards
    Erik

It's not easy... especially in bright daylight. A Bender helmet usually helps

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Just to be sure, are you focussing with lens wide open?
    that's my bet. The lens is probably stopped down.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Thank you for your answers. Yes, I figured out to open up the lens and not trying to focus stopped down, but still it is hard for me to see. As soon as the darkcloth is not pulled tight around the camera, I basically don't see anything. The center of the image is ok, the corners nearly invisible.

I am using a 150mm lens for now.

Quote Originally Posted by rince View Post
    The center of the image is ok, the corners nearly invisible.
    That's why many of use a fresnel screen.

I've just found a back for my Super Graphic and with a new glass screen and the fresnel that came with the back it's possible to focus easily without a darkcloth - with the Graphics hood.

With my Crown Graphic I had similar problems to you and adding a fresnel made a huge improvement.

When I compared the Crown Graphic with it's original screen to my Wiista with it's combination fresnel screen there was just over 3 stops effective difference in brightness towards the edges of the screen. A better screen went part way to increasing the brightness and the fresnel the rest. It's still not quite as bright as the Wista but it's good enough to be practical.

Some camera backs are designed to have the fresnel fitted before the ground glass screen (lens side), these come with a fresnel fitted. IIf they come with no fresnel then you have to place a fresnel on the outside.

There's Chines fresnels on Ebay at just over £20 ($32).

Ian

A known upgrade is to fit a ground glass screen from an Ebony. I got this as an option when I purchased by Shen Hao from Robert White in the UK. It was much brighter than the original screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty230358 View Post
    A known upgrade is to fit a ground glass screen from an Ebony. I got this as an option when I purchased by Shen Hao from Robert White in the UK. It was much brighter than the original screen.
    Thx a lot this is a great alternative! I was not aware that you can just mix and match. I will definitely look for this alternative then, as I have to admit I am a little skeptical about all the fresnel discussions and about focus shift etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rince View Post
    Thx a lot this is a great alternative! I was not aware that you can just mix and match. I will definitely look for this alternative then, as I have to admit I am a little skeptical about all the fresnel discussions and about focus shift etc.
    Adding a fresnel is very easy and as your focus frame came with a plain screen then addind one to the rear will have no effecton on shifting the focus.

These Focus shift issues only arise when a screen's misfitted, or a frames been taken apart to clean everything and put back wrong, and it does happens because I've bought 2 Craflex focus frames in the past few weeks both with their original fresnel the wrong side of the screen.

Ian