Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of the most expensive photographs

Drew Wiley

Re: List of the most expensive photographs

There have been all kinds of things done with photographic print media over the decades that I find interesting and even artistically relevant but wouldn't personally categorize as photographs. But when it comes to large scale work I have a lot more
    admiration for someone like a true mural painter who has acquired a relatively sophisticated skill set and knowledge of pigments etc versus someone who merely does
    what every Junior High student knows how to do in Photoshop to get from point A to
    point B, and that thousands of folks around here do for an ordinary living.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Petty cash by comparison.
    $250,000,000 for "The Card Players"? I have "Dogs Playing Poker on Black Velvet" that I'll let go for 1/10th of that!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    $250,000,000 for "The Card Players"? I have "Dogs Playing Poker on Black Velvet" that I'll let go for 1/10th of that!
    I'll trade you for these two:

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I think it's a remarkable and encouraging list simply because of its range. There are so many disparate approaches to photography, to art in general, represented in a relatively small number of names. Gursky, Sherman, Stieglitz, Adams, Steichen, Avedon, Prince, Lik, Mapplethorpe and ... Medvedev?

Imagine that party. You'd be hard pressed even to find fans of these artists congregating in any one place. I think that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, I do NOT consider Gursky a photographer.
    We're all entitled to our opinions, but really Drew, who cares? You're quibbling about a definition, which is not a point of fact but rather of social consensus. You're arguing with language. And when it's the language of the arts, and you stand in disagreement with the overwhelming majority curators, editors, critics, and historians, it might be time to choose another battle.

Reminds me of Grandpa Simpson defending his 49-star American flag, saying, "It'll be a cold, cold day in Hell when I recognize Missouri."

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Petty cash by comparison.
    That's for damn sure.

I've developed a simple theory to explain the creation of modern art. It goes like this:

Over time (successful) art becomes larger in size, more colorful, easier to do.

That seems to fit the best selling photo list photo list as well as it fits any survey of modern art.

--Darin

Drew Wiley

Paul - I'll classify it any damn way I wish. And you might be pretty surprised how some museum curators actually talk about it over a dinner table instead of in a press release intended to attract museum ticket sales. That crowd doesn't intimidate me for even
    ten seconds. There is no "language of the arts". We invent it; and it's just part of the
    whole silly game. Show me someone who evaluates the image with their eyes instead
    of thru a PR fad and that's someone I'll respect. Any jackass can pick up the lingo.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

You can classify anything any way you wish; just don't expect the rest of the world to speak your made-up language.

And yes, I would be very surprised to hear about all your dinner table conversations with museum curators.

Does anyone else find one photographer calling another a "fauxtographer" hilariously asinine, especially when said "fauxtographer" sold just one of their photographs for more than most of us will earn in our entire lifetime?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Does anyone else find one photographer calling another a "fauxtographer" hilariously asinine, especially when said "fauxtographer" sold just one of their photographs for more than most of us will earn in our entire lifetime?
    Not at all. Price and popularity bear no relationship to merit in an artistic, or even technical, sense. I think the photographer to whom you refer is spot on.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.