Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: List of the most expensive photographs

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Maybe what this country does need at this time is a good dose
    of strong regionalism to thumb its nose once again at the big city fashionistas.
    Not sure exactly what institutions you are targeting here in NYC with this rhetoric.

At all times the MOMA displays a rotating part of their permanent collection in the most prominent room dedicated to photography, and it is a collection which dates back to the beginning of photography.

Also, I don't see galleries or museums here devaluing older forms of art in favor of exclusively contemporary. Several galleries are currently having shows of photographers who worked only traditionally.

Drew Wiley

Re: List of the most expensive photographs

Don't worry, Corran ... I've had my fifteen seconds of fame more than once and you
    might be a little surprised at who purchased my work. Big deal. Been there, done that. Like I said, if I wanted to play games, I know how. I just don't want to. Money is not my measure of success. Landing the image in front of me and communicating it in the
    print is, rather than inventing something fictional second-hand. Read the daybooks of Weston and you'll find an analogous attitude. But I don't regard this as an "older" or "traditional" style of photography at all (speaking of snobby stereotypes). Maybe its
    taking the puzzle head-on instead of faking it.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    What's impersonal about record prices? It a remarkable show-window on both demographics and the whole parasitic groupie mentality surrounding contemporary art.
    Then doesn't it also show the parasitic groupie mentality surrounding old art? The list includes work by Steichen, Weston (2 pieces), Stieglitz (2 pieces), Atget, and Ansel Adams.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Not sure exactly what institutions you are targeting here in NYC with this rhetoric.

At all times the MOMA displays a rotating part of their permanent collection in the most prominent room dedicated to photography, and it is a collection which dates back to the beginning of photography.

Also, I don't see galleries or museums here devaluing older forms of art in favor of exclusively contemporary. Several galleries are currently having shows of photographers who worked only traditionally.
    Well, exactly. There are museums, dealers, and collectors of every persuation here. There are galleries that only show 19th century photography, and one gallery that I know of that only shows platinum prints.

Mr. Wiley seems to have invented a city for the purpose of hating.

I actually think there's too much emphasis on old, dead masters in the blue chip galleries. I stopped going to the AIPAD show because it was mostly stuff I could see in Art History books or at the Met. I'm more interested in people who are alive, waiting to be discovered. I want to see what I don't already know.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I actually think there's too much emphasis on old, dead masters in the blue chip galleries. I stopped going to the AIPAD show because it was mostly stuff I could see in Art History books or at the Met. I'm more interested in people who are alive, waiting to be discovered. I want to see what I don't already know.
    This year AIPAD was not overrun with old masters. There was a mix of just about everything you can think of.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    This year AIPAD was not overrun with old masters. There was a mix of just about everything you can think of.
    Yeah, I should probably go check it out again. It's been many years.