Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 2200 Resurrected!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Epson 2200 Resurrected!

Back in 2004 I purchased a new Epson 2200 Printer. I printed two (2) prints on in and then boxed it up with the ink cartridges installed and never used it again. Then, last week, I thought that adding the inkjet printing process as a photographic syntax - which it certainly is - I dug the printer out of storage to see if it would still print after being in storage for 7 years. Everything was in its proper place except for the power cable which I couldn't find for the past two days. I even stopped by Fry's this morning to buy one but they didn't have one that matched. Then this afternoon, shortly before the nightly news, I found it right where I thought it was but never saw it even though I had searched thru that drawer several times since yesterday.

I plugged it in and it powered up! I then installed the printer software and ran the nozzel check. Surely they were clogged after all these years and the ink remaining in the cartridges probably solidified. A red light indicated that the light cyan needed to be replaced and the printout indicated that the nozzles needed cleaning and two patterns (yellow and light cyan) were absent entirely. A "new" light cyan was in the box so I changed that cartridge and ran the cleaning cycle 20 or 30 times. Gradually the broken lines became continuous and finally the yellow pattern appeared - faint but its lines were continuous.

But will it print? The Epson manual says that not powering up the printer for more than a month is bad news and in this case it's been 7 years since it was last powered up and the ink all dates from 2004 (the production date on the ink is all 4/2004 except for the cyan that I changed which is 7/2004). So I arbitrarily picked an image from my scan files and the image below, which is a faithful representation of what appears on my moniotor, appears just as Drew Brees was surpassing Dan Marino's NFL record:

After all these years the printer works!! And I didn't even have to buy that power cord!

Thomas

Re: Epson 2200 Resurrected!

I had a similar experience with a 2200 after it had been boxed upside down by our movers and stored in a garage for about 4 months through an Oregon winter with cartridges loaded. I don't think I had to run any cleaning cycles, certainly not 20. I pretty much just plugged it in and it printed fine. I was amazed, I thought the printer would be ruined.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I was given a long-stored 2200 about a year ago. I put in fresh cartridges and fired it up, ran one cleaning cycle and it's been running perfectly ever since. I, too, found it hard to believe.

Peter Gomena

In my case the printer was sitting right side up in the original box w/the original Styrofoam for about 3.5 years and then on its side for the balance of the 7 years. All the cables (excepting the power cord) were stored in the Epson 3200 box along with several packs of print media - Epson and Ilford ink-jet paper - so I won't have to buy paper for awhile! Ink levels are low on 3 colors but the printer's software told me last night that I still had enough remaining to print 24 more prints like the the one posted above.

I am absolutely amazed that the printer is printing like it was brand new (which it is considering the amount of prior usage) and using the same ink that was installed back in 2004! Before I got into this I went online to see what I was up against and was expecting to at least having to use solvents to clear nozzles that were surely clogged after 7 years. But all it took was changing the cartridge that the printer said was empty and running the head cleaning utility 20 or 30 times. That was it!

Here's a scan of a Van Dyke print that I made a few minutes ago with the Epson:

The actual Epson print is much better than the scan of it above and preserves the reddish brown hues characteristic of the original Van Dyke print. The digital darkroom will prove to be very efficient and provide valuable possibilities with alternative photographic processes as the latter is a one print at a time process that is time consuming: 15 minutes just to coat and dry one sheet.

Thomas

With the Harrington RIP and nice paper I've been very pleased with my long lasting 2200 too, it's been a great printer. But as soon as it's 2012 I will get a R3000 so I may have some left over carts.

I guess there is a waste ink tank that eventually fills and is difficult to empty, rendering the printer in need of factory service (or disposal is the most likely scenario). But you'd have to use it a lot to fill it. I haven't yet.

These printers get a bad rap because the ink carts are obscenely priced but for the low volume user they still are the most economical way to print photo quality inkjets.

My 2200 often sits for 9 months at a time between prints requiring a cleaning cycle or two at the most, and even then typically only for a single color clog. I'll put it out to pasture if/when the HDR inkset shows up in a 3880 replacement or the Hayward fault lets go. : O

My 2200 is still running strong after all these years.

There is one listed on Craigslist for $300. He says it has been wrapped and in storage for 3 years. Just wondering if this is a good price and would it be worth buying? I do need a good inkjet printer, and really can't afford a whole lot right now.
    Michael Cienfuegos

I can't comment on the current value Michael but I belive that I paid around $600 in 2004 for a new one. As far as the instorage issue, I had mine stored for 7 years with the original ink installed and it fired up and the nozzels were unclogged after using the nozzel clean function for about 20 times. Storage was indoors in a climate controlled environment (my closet) half the time laying flat and the other hald on its side.

Here's a scan of a print I just did after profiling the scanner, monitor and printer. I was just about to post it in the Lounge when I read your post:

All the ink is current except for the Cyan which is 2004 as is the paper on which it is printed (Epson Premium Glossy).

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    There is one listed on Craigslist for $300. He says it has been wrapped and in storage for 3 years. Just wondering if this is a good price and would it be worth buying? I do need a good inkjet printer, and really can't afford a whole lot right now.
    With three years storage I would be very concerned that the printer head would be so clogged it would not clear. The Epson 2200 was/is a good printer if in working condition, but pigment inkjet printers are meant to be used, not stored.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon