View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 4 of 299 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    this seems like an interesting camera. Especially if the price could really stay around $100. It might ever attract the hipster/holga/lomo crowd at that price.
    Well, that price won't include a lens.

But I can think of some reasonably well-suited lenses that would be inexpensive. At 90mm, a 90mm WA Optar (or Raptar) is a good choice. No room for movements, extremely compact, and generally cheap. Decent performer stopped down. Not Super-Angulon-decent, but decent.

An Angulon would be the next step up (maybe) and a little more expensive. The 90/8 Super Angulon would be the next step up from there, but as Ben says, it has coverage that would be wasted. And they have a much bigger footprint.

At 65, there is the 65/8 Super Angulon, which seems to be fairly plentiful. They are a bit more expensive, but they perform really well and one wouldn't be wasting excess movements using one. Despite being a Super Angulon, they are still reasonably compact (unlike the 90).

I have both the 90mm WA Optar and the 65/8 Super Angulon, so I don't much care which one Ben builds first, as long as he does both of them.

Rick "at that price point, a customer" Denney

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

oh yeah...i know that doesn't include a lens...still think it would be a great price for a fun camera
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

How similar are the 6.8 Optar/Raptars from the 6.8 Angulons? I had always supposed that the Optar was a more or less direct copy of the Angulon, but I haven't looked at the block diagrams or anything.

I would like one as well ... 65mm, I am thinking of the Titan that Harmon is making as well.

Interested.

would love a 65mm version.

I am interested, have both a 65 and a 90 so indifferent which format gets built….
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

I don't know if it's been said, but personally I'd be interested in one made for the Schneider 47mm XL, preferably with preset hyperfocal distances for a couple different apertures and a viewfinder accessory.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    How similar are the 6.8 Optar/Raptars from the 6.8 Angulons? I had always supposed that the Optar was a more or less direct copy of the Angulon, but I haven't looked at the block diagrams or anything.
    No, it's not a copy of the Angulon at all, and it's even smaller. The Optar W.A. is a 4-element double-gauss design, while the Angulon is a 6-element variation on the dagor. And the shutter is different. Good luck finding specs for the shutter opening, but I have a Graphic board for mine already and never measured it (it's at home and I'm not). The shutter is small, but I'm not sure as small as the "Graphex" shutter that Grimes shows for their mounting flanges. I'll measure it tonight.

I do believe it requires a smaller hole than a No. 0 shutter, but the reversible flange I have for mine adapts to a #0 hole using a shoulder. I'll check that for sure tonight, too.

Here's a picture of a 90mm f/6.8 Optar W.A., which I found in an old posting from about 2005:

It was designed for 4x5 and covers, though it needs to be well stopped down and corner performance requires a bit of vintage understanding.

Rick "thinking this may be the smallest 4x5-coverage 90mm lens ever made" Denney

I think it's a great idea, and the minimalist direction is the right one here.

But, how about a screw on (or snap on) plastic cap to cover the whole lens/shutter for transport?
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"