View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 25 of 299 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Probably not to start... There are way more 90s out there than 65s, so the market is much smaller. If we sell a zillion 90s, it would certainly make me rethink things. But keep in mind that 65 is quite wide—the equivalent of 17mm in 135, so it should be pretty easy to get a good hyperfocal distance that covers 10 feet to infinity.
    Remember, though, that how a camera is used defines the needs from which requirements emerge.

65 is wide, sure enough, but the reason we use such wide lenses is often because we want to move in very close to the subject so that it will be larger with respect to the scene than with a longer lens. A hyperfocal distance of 10 feet to infinity doesn't let you put anything close enough that it would appear close in the photograph. With a circle of confusion of 0.05 (adequate for, perhaps, 16x20 prints), f/22 provides a hyperfocal range of 6.3 feet to infinity when focused at 12.5 feet. But even a subject 6.3 feet away will not appear close unless it is pretty large already. I might use that lens for a subject 3 feet away, and that cannot be brought into apparent focus using a hyperfocal distance with the apertures provided on the Compur 00. I certainly might want apparent focus for everything between three and six feet, for example.

It would not take much of a helical. Heck, a threaded flange instead of a hole might provide enough threads. (fumbles for calculator...) By my quick calculation, focusing on 3 feet would only require about 5mm of extension compared to infinity. Okay, probably too much to focus just using the mounting threads. But it wouldn't take much of a helical. A couple of 2mm spacers that would allow three overlapping ranges might do well enough at f/22 and smaller.

Rick "who uses wides usually to exaggerate near-far relationships" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    But it wouldn't take much of a helical. A couple of 2mm spacers that would allow three overlapping ranges might do well enough at f/22 and smaller.
    I put a focusing helical on my 65mm 6x12 camera but with hindsight, I should have just set it to hyperfocal (which was my original intention). I have one shot taken with the lens set to infinity with a subject about eight feet away (I forgot to change the focus) and I can't tell any difference in sharpness in a print.

Steve.

Landscape Addict

Oh how I lust after this camera... This coming weekend I'm going for a 15km walk with a 5.3kg monorail camera... Very much looking forward to getting one of these!
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    65 is wide, sure enough, but the reason we use such wide lenses is often because we want to move in very close to the subject so that it will be larger with respect to the scene than with a longer lens.

Rick "who uses wides usually to exaggerate near-far relationships" Denney
    +1

Any news on this Ben?
    Have my 90 mm ready to go......
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

And so do I! I'm hoping to bring it with me on my first trip to Ireland in September...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    I drafted up a lensboard that fits where the helical normally goes... The 90 will ship assembled, but we could ship a 65 version with the lensboard unattached.

I put the nominal FFD at 70.7mm for the lensboard, which is basically infinity for the 65/8 plus 0.2mm, a conservative hyperfocal. If you want a closer hyperfocal distance for the 65, you can shim it forward. If you have the 58mm, you can shim the inside of the lensboard to bring it back to 69.3mm, or wherever you want it.

So hope lives for a 65mm version!
    I love the idea of a hyperfocal 65mm option with a separate 90mm helical attachment. I've just built a 4x5 for my 65/8 with helical but find I need to stop down anyway due to vignetting. I'm thinking of ditching the helical on mine(heavy metal) and just fixing focus somewhere around 3m.

Quote Originally Posted by kevyong View Post
    I'm thinking of ditching the helical on mine(heavy metal) and just fixing focus somewhere around 3m.
    That sounds about right. I reckoned on 8-9 feet when I experimented with mine on a 6x12 format. This was for f16 I think.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    And so do I! I'm hoping to bring it with me on my first trip to Ireland in September...
    Where in Ireland David?
    I'll be in west cork some of September.....
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by anglophone1 View Post
    Where in Ireland David?
    I'll be in west cork some of September.....
    We'll be touring for 10 days from Dublin, then down to Killarney, Dingle, Doolin, Galway and Inishmore, from the end of September into early October...we weren't sure we'd spend a lot of time in Cork--so much to see and so little time!

But if you're around....

I'm meeting up with a couple of other photographers through the trip as well...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...