View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 14 of 299 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

joseph

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Infinity is very far away- particularly at f/6.3 or f/8.

If you can compute a scale accurately for a given focal length, the most precise way to set up a lens is to focus on something in the close range, say at one meter, or less.

If you can do that, all the other distances will fall into place.

Half a millimeter out at infinity may not be noticeable, but it's a long way out in the close range.

jb7, I respectfully disagree. I've done that in a pinch before, but in reality, anything around 100m is effectively infinity. I calibrate based on the Sears Tower and other buildings downtown, which are around 3 km away.

The problem with calibrating based on 1m is that there's a gigantic margin for error. If you're a cm or two off at 1m, it means your infinity is hosed. It's easy to see if your infinity focus is slightly off, but it's nearly impossible to tell if 1m is slightly front or back focusing.

joseph

That's ok Ben, we can respectfully disagree-

This isn't the place to argue the point anyway, and whatever calibration method you choose, it's a relatively simple job-

However, infinity on a 65mm f/8 lens effectively begins at around 21m, there's no point in focusing much beyond that, because you're not taking advantage of the depth of field in front of the subject. There can be much hunting for infinity, on a ground glass, where infinity doesn't seem to change much. In my experience, there is far more measurable accuracy in the close range, and a corroboration for infinity is a simple thing.

Nice looking camera too, hope the testing goes well-

And again, not willing to argue the point further, don't want to hijack your thread-

No problem jb7! This is exactly the reason why I don't want to force the user to calibrate the camera. It's a can of worms I have no interest in. I'll have default markings, and the picky can customize the scale. The picky (like myself) will never be satisfied anyway, so there is no point even attempting it.

I'm all set with a f/6.8 Angulon and the markings would be great. This should be an excellent camera for travel. Thanks for your hard work...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Thanks, Rick! We're still crunching numbers trying to determine the optimal FFD.

We both agree now that we'd like markings for the Angulon (and looks like the Optar will be similar), and let the ƒ/8 and ƒ/5.6 users create their own markings. This camera is really designed for the compact 6.8's, so we'd like to make life easy for those users.

I got the film back from my first outing with the camera, and will scan tonight!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

OK,,, I'm ready. Calibrate Schmalibrate... waste of time. I will probably shoot most of my film supply on a tripod with GG viewing. Never been much for the technical stuff, let alone the overhype of movements. So glad you left them off. All this talk of infinity focus, calibration and hand holding is just a way for me to lower my keeper rate on film that is going into short supply and rising in price. I'm interested only in every image a keeper if possible.

When can I order and when will shipping start? I may want more than a couple to put my lenses and back refinements on. All this other discussion is making me sleepy. When it looks good on the Ground Glass, that's when I snap the shutter.

Landscape Addict

Agreed.. I shoot near everything at F/22~F/32.. With a 90mm on 4x5, that pretty much gives me infinite depth of field...

I do not intend to use a ground glass with this camera, That really defeats the purpose of a 4x5 point and shoot. I want something that all I have to do is pull the dark slide, set at F/32 and snap a shot...
    I wont use it hand held either really, again, F/22~F/32 restricts that, along with my favorite film being ISO50...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    OK,,, I'm ready. Calibrate Schmalibrate... waste of time. I will probably shoot most of my film supply on a tripod with GG viewing. Never been much for the technical stuff, let alone the overhype of movements. So glad you left them off. All this talk of infinity focus, calibration and hand holding is just a way for me to lower my keeper rate on film that is going into short supply and rising in price. I'm interested only in every image a keeper if possible.

When can I order and when will shipping start? I may want more than a couple to put my lenses and back refinements on. All this other discussion is making me sleepy. When it looks good on the Ground Glass, that's when I snap the shutter.

OK, that last post of mine was a bit harsh. Let me apologize and clarify.

Ben, You played all your cards already. The camera is done and just right for a number of buyers from what I see on this forum (and that's just on this forum)
    If there is one thing I've learned in 40 years of Marketing, including Mercedes Benz, Corporate level computers and software, banking services... etc. It is "never keep a buyer who is waving cash in your face waiting!!!" You can always tweak the camera for the AR people later. While you allow them to cause others to wait is not tantalizing. It's weary, and reduces interest. Some of the early adopters... those who've said YES!!! already may leave the market.

Ok, was that less harsh... ? Perhaps not. show us the test scans and move on to orders and production, please, There's money awaiting you.

Kuzano, I opened up this project to this forum because I wanted to get feedback from you guys during development. This thread is not a marketing tactic. The camera is far from being ready to ship. We need to make CAD changes and order a second prototype, which will take weeks. Then we need to get a quote for tooling, which is not quick. Then we need to raise money for tooling, and after we do that, it will be weeks until we receive the first sample part. In the meantime, we need to build a website, shoot sample images, and talk to distributors.

In short, it will be ready when it's ready. Be patient. There's no incentive for me to offer preorders if people will be hounding me every day.

joseph

AR people? FU2.

Obviously, evolution can only be advanced by those who actually give a shit.
    If your attitude prevailed, we'd still be trying to catch our next meal by throwing stones at it.

The ability to selectively focus is obviously wasted on you.
    In fact, it might present you with a set of insurmountable challenges.
    In that regard, Ben has produced a tool that is already hugely over specified.

There are a large number of people who proudly proclaim that a camera is just a tool.
    When I hear that, I say, yeah right, just another tool.