View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 13 of 299 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Thanks, Rick! We're still crunching numbers trying to determine the optimal FFD.

We both agree now that we'd like markings for the Angulon (and looks like the Optar will be similar), and let the ƒ/8 and ƒ/5.6 users create their own markings. This camera is really designed for the compact 6.8's, so we'd like to make life easy for those users.

I got the film back from my first outing with the camera, and will scan tonight!

Ben, if your focus scale can be repositioned for infinity calibration, then the scale itself should be the same, barring differences in true focal length. The flange focal distances are different because the mounting point of the shutter is different. That's a single translation that should not affect the scale distance between different focus distances.

At this price point, I'd consider a well-printed focus scale on an adhesive strip (quality adhesive, quality strip material), with clear instructions on how to install it, a usable option.

Rick "how did you focus your prototype?" Denney

Rick, that was the original idea, but I'm now worried that people won't be willing or able to calibrate infinity focus on their own. I would rather ship it with a scale that will work for the Angulon & Optar, and let users of other lenses work out their own solutions...

The prototype has no markings as of yet, and has only been tested at infinity. It turns out that I loaded my film holders months ago, and they've since leaked. I got some test shots back that at least verified the design, but they're too flashed to post. That'll teach me to load holders and not use them! I'm loading up some fresh film tomorrow and will shoot some stuff just for fun!

Are you absolutely sure the plastic is opaque?

Rick "who has been burned--er--fogged by that assumption before" Denney

p.s., maybe you could provide the sticker with the scale on it for those who need it, with the stock marked scale for your target lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Rick, that was the original idea, but I'm now worried that people won't be willing or able to calibrate infinity focus on their own.
    You might contact Paul Droluk and see whether he would allow you to use some suitably edited version of the infinity-calibration instructions that were posted for the Fotoman cameras:

http://www.fotomancamera.com/downloa...matCameras.pdf

Yeah, the plastic is 100% opaque.

It's a good idea to throw in a sticker for the customizers in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    You might contact Paul Droluk and see whether he would allow you to use some suitably edited version of the infinity-calibration instructions that were posted for the Fotoman cameras:
    We probably will have some PDF like that, but in my experience, people just don't read the instructions. So I would love to have reasonable default markings for the majority of people who bristle when they hear "calibration."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    We probably will have some PDF like that, but in my experience, people just don't read the instructions. So I would love to have reasonable default markings for the majority of people who bristle when they hear "calibration."
    You're going to have a website with the instructional video showing how easy it is to calibrate, aren't you?
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

I'm a sucker for video, so yes.

Just to further complicate things, another couple of lenses worth accomodating are the fujinon and nikkor 105mm f/5.6s, flange distance about 103mm. With your quoted 20mm of throw on the helicoid these should just about be feasible.