View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 3 of 299 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Yeah, we looked at 75mm, but all the 75s are quite expensive!

I'd be interested in either or both. I have 90mm and 75mm nikkor-sw already, but might pick up a 65 if needed
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

joseph

Looks good Ben, looks robust-

Good price too-

I've been working on some updates to my p&s (65mm), and have come up with some refinements-

If I were to do a longer lens P&S, I'd consider making the lens retractible when not in use. I think that's already been mentioned...
    Mounting a cylinder inside the cone might make a much wider selection of lenses available too. However, two castings, moving parts, locking system- more expensive-

Mounting a lens right on the front of a rigid body leaves it vulnerable and exposed. Some form of protection system might be useful, and shouldn't significantly to the cost- cheap drawer handles might do the job, as long as the casting provided mounting points- easy to cast in, not so easy to retrofit. This will be especially important on a longer lens, I think- It might also start to add some visual complexity to the form, maybe even give people more confidence in being able to throw it into a bag, as you described-

I've found the helical on mine to be less than successful, for a point and shoot-
    not too bad for more considered shots, on a tripod, and very accurate, but a circular helical doesn't provide feedback behind the camera. If there was an indexing lever cast in, it might provide some kind of rough zone focusing capability.

Good luck with your prototype-
    will be interested to see how it comes out. What printing system are you using?

All the best-

joseph

Thanks for the feedback, Joseph! Unfortunately, at this price point I need to rely on the user to protect the lens. Insert molding screw mounts into the part makes the cost skyrocket. The ideal lens for this camera is really the 90/6.8 Angulon. It's so compact that you don't really need to worry about protecting it, beyond adding a lens cap.

The only reason to use a 90/8 lens on this camera is if you already have it handy—you obviously can't utilize the extra coverage, you lose speed vs the 6.8, and it's heavier.

In terms of prints, we've been using Shapeways, and are very happy with the results. They take a while, but the quality and price are unbeatable. Last year I was able to print a very thin M42 screw mount using their Ultra Fine Detail process, and it mounted an M42 lens without any sanding or finishing:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    There will definitely be a tripod socket, on the bottom of the lens cone (no room in the body). No need for two, as the camera is so light you can just tilt it on the tripod. Bubble levels are easy to add via the cold shoes.
    Glad to here that there will be a tripod socket. If you have a chance check out the Titan. The bullseye levels are 3/8" in diameter, very clean. Anyway just my 2¢.

Roger

I would be interested in a 90mm version. I would want a tripod mount and some sort of viewfinder shoe. In a perfect world it would be able to use one of the cheap Chinese 6X12 film holders. I expect that is too much to ask for though.

Edward

I think the 6x12 holders would fit... You'd just need to remove the back spring (very easy) and bungie or rubber band the holder to the body.

yes.. for monopod use anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    I know you are thinking of a P&S, but how about a tripod socket? Or at least a thick pad/section on the bottom to add one?

Yeah, to be clear, there definitely will be a tripod socket and cold shoes.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

this seems like an interesting camera. Especially if the price could really stay around $100. It might ever attract the hipster/holga/lomo crowd at that price.

Generally I prefer 90mm to 65mm...but for a camera like this without a rangefinder i think 65mm makes more sense. Would be a more compact unit with 65mm and easier focus due to extended DOF.....so I voted for the 65mm

Good Luck! hope it works out!
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com