View Poll Results: Desired Focal Length!

Voters
329. You may not vote on this poll
  • 65mm

98 29.79%
  • 90mm

231 70.21%
Page 54 of 299 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Quote Originally Posted by searover View Post
    Ben,

You have my pledge, it looks a lot easier then dragging out my TK45 and wandering. It looks well designed and hopefully will get thousands into LF.

My question is what is the throw or distance of travel for the helical focus? And how does this attach to the body? Can the helical be removed for the use of the 65SA with it?

Thanks and congratulations on getting halfway there in three days!

I highly encourage all LF members get one...

John Allaman
    Thanks, John!

The throw on the helical is a very generous 20mm. In order to make it durable, secure and light tight, the helical will either be screwed or glued into the body. We'd prefer to make it screwed, because it simplifies assembly. If it's screwed in, then there's a slight chance that the user would be able to unscrew the helical and screw on the 65 plate. But I must stress that this is completely hypothetical at this point, because we need to hear from the manufacturer whether it's cheaper in the end to do metal inserts or spend more time in assembly.

Thanks for helping to spread the word! Let's hope this momentum continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Finally, our 3D printing process lets some light in (despite frantically taping it everywhere), so some of the haziness in our sample photos (especially in bright scenes) is probably due to the material.
    Ah, ok, but the production camera will be light tight, right? ;-) Not that I'm against taping but it would be nice if everyone did not have to do that.

Larry

Ben,

Not that I have any pull with Mike Johnston at The Online Photographer, but I emailed him hoping that he might mention it on his site. He responded back that they are "thinking about it." I am hoping that he puts up a post, it certainly would not hurt. I have also emailed Brooks Jensen (again, not that I have any pull) hoping he might give it a plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Ah, ok, but the production camera will be light tight, right? ;-) Not that I'm against taping but it would be nice if everyone did not have to do that.

Larry
    No, that's just because of the 3D printing plastic we have to use. The production camera will probably be a high impact black polycarbonate, which is completely opaque. I will also have the inside of the camera textured so that it's not shiny and bouncing light everywhere.

Jim, thanks for emailing Mike! I emailed him before I launched, but I get the sense that he's burned out on Kickstarters, as all bloggers are.

MF/LF Newbie

I've a Fuji SW 90 mounted on a helical used on two different DIY cameras. If I need another dedicated 90mm camera is an open question, but since you added a pinhole to the offer I might let myself be convinced to give it a try. Well done Ben.
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Ben and Justin had it figured out perfectly in my opinion. Whatever the poll here shows, actual supporters have ordered the 90 over the 65 at a rate of over 5 to 1. (quick calculation just now INCLUDING those that ordered both, if you subtract those, the ratio of 90 preference goes WAY up)
    Nothing against 65, but it's probably too wide for most of us.
    As for another poll asking who's already got a lens? Who cares? Many of us do already have one and there are probably thousands of similar lenses that will fit. The fellows did their advance legwork, now they get to breath a little while they wait to watch the $ go up. Congratulations on a well thought out concept, I am keeping my fingers crossed it happens.
    There will be one more 65 as soon as I get over losing my coveted (in my own mind) status as special deal orderer #1, and end up paying essentially twice as much for the 90mm version as I would have otherwise. But I'll get over it eventually, because I want the project to succeed. Maybe another week.

I suspect the number of backers will level off considerably as the pent-up interest is spent, so the need to promote this everywhere is just as high now as ever.

By the way, I have a 90mm Graflex Optar W.A. positioned for this application, and two (count 'em!) 65/8 Super Angulons, though only one in a reliable shutter. I also have a Blix rangefinder, a viewfinder, and a little (ancient) Vivitar flash in a box labeled "Wanderlust". I've had that lens for 25 years and used it maybe once. I bet I'm not unique.

To Ben and Justin: The videos of you guys making the photos, followed by the photos themselves, were simple and effective. I wish most people would make promotional films like that--focusing on the use and not on the benefits. The benefits were demonstrated wordlessly without being asserted, and were thus persuasive. I'm showing them to my wife--maybe I can persuade here to open an Amazon account...

Rick "oops, off to fight another spammer" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    No, that's just because of the 3D printing plastic we have to use. The production camera will probably be a high impact black polycarbonate, which is completely opaque. I will also have the inside of the camera textured so that it's not shiny and bouncing light everywhere.
    Good to hear that it will be light tight and that the inside will not be shiny. I have a Fujinon lens that has the white lettering on the inside of the lens hood painted over with black. I guess somebody concluded that they were getting reflections from the white lettering.

I know you guys will make it and then some. I expect easy 1000 'investors'. Look where you are now. This project is growing wings. I just asked all my photographer FB friends to post on their FB pages and to promote this any way possible. I would twit, but I don't...

Dare I say where is Ken Rockwell?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ,Dare I say where is Ken Rockwell?
    I'm surprised Ken has not found this yet. I'm sure he will. He's crazy about large format. He loves the Angulon, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Dare I say where is Ken Rockwell?
    I shudder to think what he would say about this project. Actually I think I know exactly what he would say.

Wow! These crazy guys want to make a brand new 4x5 camera for $99! As we all know, real photographers shoot 4x5. This $99 plastic camera will run rings around any digital out there. (Of course, sharpness doesn't matter and your camera doesn't matter. Real photographers can shoot on anything.) The camera works with the die Schneider Angulon 90mm ƒ/6.8, made in Germany. Real photographers will prefer the Super Angulon ƒ/8 for its superior sharpness, but on the other hand, real photographers know that it's better to have a small, light lens like the ƒ/6.8. This is the perfect camera for landscapes, but these days I only shoot landscapes on my iPhone 5! (Your camera doesn't matter..)

Recommendations
    I would buy one of these cameras and shoot Velvia 50, but for kid shots, nothing beats the X100. You need fast AF for kids.
    All in good fun