Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on AA.

Re: Opinions on AA

Have we had a response from the OP, f-90?

I’m curious whether he/she is indeed working on a term paper.

Going onto a photography forum and asking old geysers their opinions is a perfectly legitimate portion of research for such a paper.

However, if these are two essay questions on a test, that’s a different matter.

I’m a bit surprised that the OP seems to think it’s a given that AA was the best landscape photographer of all time.

And that he was the first to realize the importance of science within art.

Wuh? Not sure what that means.

AA had a lot more interesting things going on than to limit a paper to those two points.

I would suggest the OP keep in mind that AA photographed all kinds of subject matter throughout his life. Portraits, still life, everything.

In the 1970s, when Swarkoski took hold, he branded AA a photographer of the pristine landscape and limited the MOMA’s branding to that single subject. It stuck.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Opinions on AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Very true. However, unlike countless lesser photographers, he had something to promote, including significant social issues. The prolific Adams not only captured many fine subjects, but made them available to us mere mortals. He was also generous in sharing his knowledge, like many on this site.
    Talent at self promotion is not a bad thing unless the self-promoter has nothing real to promote... and then it is a scam. AA was definitely not a scam.

Show me one serious history of painting book that mentions Kincade. All the major history of photography books that I am aware of not only mention AA bust have serious coverage of him. Is Kincade's work in all the major museum collections? AAs images are all over the world. There is no serious comparison.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Opinions on AA

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    I’m curious whether he/she is indeed working on a term paper.

Going onto a photography forum and asking old geysers their opinions is a perfectly legitimate portion of research for such a paper.
    If that is true, i hope the footnotes are accurate. He he he. for the record: my name is spelled "Brian", not "Brain" as often mistakenly cited. He he he.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Show me one serious history of painting book that mentions Kincade. All the major history of photography books that I am aware of not only mention AA bust have serious coverage of him. Is Kincade's work in all the major museum collections? AAs images are. There is no serious comparison.
    OK, I can't address these issues -- never done that research and not interested enough to do it. I trust you have (even if it is just informally) and will believe you. I'm not a trained artist, nor an art historian. But opinions change with time and time is not over yet. Maybe Kinkade will be remembered a bit more favorably in his eventual posthumous existance. I was thinking just in terms of unique style, marketing (and marketability) and the "copycat" factor.

[QUOTE=BrianShaw;845283]. . . I have great respect for AA but also tend to view at him as being the Thonmas Kinkade of photography. . . .
    QUOTE]

Ouch! I agree with Kirk. He may not have always been the greatest, but he is the most visible of the great. Snobs deride Norman Rockwell for being that, too. Both made fine imagery meaningful to the masses. To paraphrase, "Never in the history of art have so many owed so much to so few."

Gee whiz... sorry guys. I had no intention of being offensive and besmirch AA with that comparison. I'll stop... and never say that again.

p.s. I was about to mention Norm Rockwell... but won't now.

Yes Brian, I have done the research as my masters thesis was partly about AA and specifically about the history of American landscape photography. Understand that this research was done BEFORE Ansel died. His reputation, influence etc, was well established DURING his lifetime. Beaumont Newhall, who I studied with, spent a whole week on AA in his 20th century history of photography class.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    His reputation, influence etc, was well established DURING his lifetime.
    Maybe there needs to be a new/different metric of artistic success... because I'll bet that "you know who" is displayed in more living rooms and shopping mall galleries than "the other you know who" is displayed in museums. And "you know who" is still a relatively young and living pup. Just yanking your chain. I don't disagree with you!