Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spain

Spain

Spending 3 weeks in Spain. Asa usual the decision as to whether or not to take 4X5, but will be visiting: Madrid, Cuenca, Barcelona, Cadaqués, and maybe Saragossa. I am thinking of doing some full length 4X5 street portraits of willing volunteers, as well as architectural subjects. I am well aware of the PP problem having been deftly relieved of a camera in Atocha station , so I am also doing a little safety strategizing!

Anyone have any ideas about places en route, particularly along the coast between Valencia and Barcelona?

Thanks.

Re: Spain

The mediterranean coast of Spain is ruined by out of control construction, specially in Valencia. You could visit El Delta del Ebro, where the Ebro river meets the sea. It is very beatiful, rice fields, sand dunes... the rest is pretty ugly.

Cadaqués and whereabouts is very nice too. Port Lligat...

I would avoid Zaragoza unless you have to drive by it.

PP, yes! I's crazy.

What is the PP problem - no rest rooms? I like the area around Malaga but that is on the coast fairly far south. The old city of Rhonda is really wonderful.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

PP=Pick pockets

if you want do architectural subjects come to La Rioja, Rafael Moneo´s city hall, Frank Ghery Spa Marqués del Riscal , Calatravas winewards , is near to Zaragoza About 2hours and at one and a half of Bilbao Guggenhein Museum .
    All the best.

Terry,

When in Madrid, you may want to consider day trips to Toledo and Segovia. Both cities are very beautiful and offer spectacular Roman, Moorish, and Medieval architecture (aqueduct in Segovia, cathedrals and palaces in Toledo).

As Ramiro pointed out, the Mediterranean coast is ruined in many places. However, Port Lligat, Cadaqués, as well as the Ebro delta are marvellous places to do landscape photography.

¡Buen viaje!
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...

Post Re: Spain

We are trying not to rent a car, preferring train/bus; however from Barza to Cadaqués maybe we should rent a car, or take a train to Figueres? I am trying to include Cuenca instead of Saragossa in transit from Alcalá de Henares to Barza-any thoughts? We will be spending time in Madrid at the back end of the trip. I assume we would go Cuenca to Valencia in transit, when using public transport, or can I arrive further north along the coast without going into Valencia?

Any thoughts on large format street portraits from "street volunteers"?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    You could visit El Delta del Ebro, where the Ebro river meets the sea. It is very beatiful, rice fields, sand dunes... the rest is pretty ugly.
    If you are there take a side trip toward Tortosa (stay a night at the Parador) and the small coastal mountains coming down toward Hospitalet Del Infante or Reus. On the way up North stop at Tarragona. Further North stop at Girona, well worth spending a couple of night there and exploring a few villages around (Besalu...).

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Cadaqués and whereabouts is very nice too. Port Lligat...
    There are hiking trail going to Cap de Creus, that I would love trying out. Off season it is pretty quiet and many things are closed, on season, you do not want to go there. I suspect that June and September would be a happy medium.

Transport Madrid to Valencia/Sevilla/Barcelona is fine with fast expansive speed trains. Transport in between coastal city is not as good. You do not want a car in Madrid...but if you are stopping at smaller cities you need a car to enjoy the surrounding villages and mountains roads.
    I would plan my trip by staying a week - in/around Madrid, a week + in Catalunya with a few days with a car (Barcelona, Girona, Cadaques) and a few days in between in a city of your choice (i.e. Valencia on your way down from Catalunya before going to Madrid)
    Barcelona>Valencia>Madrid

Enjoy

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

All of what Luc said. Keep in mind Cadaqués is inaccessible without a car or a boat. There might be a bus that takes you there. Renting a car in Barcelona is a good idea. That way you can stop in a couple more places in the way to Cadaqués, the ones up north being the nicer ones. Girona city is very nice too.

That being said, I'd avoid driving in large cities. Rentals are not like in the US, they're very expensive. Oh, and gas of course is three times more.

Photographing people in the street... that depends on your charm I'd say. I suck at it.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A few...14 years back (my how time flies!) I did a bicycle trip that started in Madrid and ended in Rome. Part of your proposed route, Valencia to Barcelona, was on my itinerary as well.

At the time I was following Hannibal's route into Italy during the Second Punic War. Just a few kilometers north of Valencia situated on the summit of a steep hill is the fortress city of ancient Saguntum (Sagunto) which was allied with Rome. It was here that the 2d Punic War began after an excruciating 8 month siege by Hannibal in which he suffered a serious wound. The ruins are both extensive and preserved - well worth the time to vist.

The road from Valencia to Barcelona follows the Mediterranean with beaches to your immediate right and campgrounds to the immediate left with the road separating the two. Expect heavy vehicular traffic. We were confined for the most part to riding that thin right line but nevertheless was a great ride with a dip in the Mediterranean and supper on the beach each evening.

There's a gay nudists beach just before entering Barcelona which you probably wouldn't notice unless traveling by bicycle. Don't trust the Barcelona campgrounds. I wouldn't have spent a couple of days there touring the city if I hadn't discovered the lockers at the train station to store my tent et al during the day. (The campgrounds in Madrid, on the other hand, were completely safe.)

From Barcelona I crossed the Pyrenees at Girona and spent one night in a campground overlooking the border crossing situated on top of a high hill overlooking the land with an ancient castle which is now restaurant operating by the campground owner. Very friendly and informative people - like most that I ran into during my travels - and the food and scenery is exquisite. The owner is away during the day but arrives in the afternoon to open the restaurant. If camping just select your spot and pay him in the castle.

Thomas