Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reccomendations for 4x5 kit Bag

Reccomendations for 4x5 kit Bag

If anyone has a great bag they would like to recommend for a 4x5 system, please do.
    (if you have link that would be great)/ could be new or used.
    I just got a Sinar F, 2 lenses, 15 holders, polaroid back, and two lensboards.
    (I tend to prefer soft cases like Tamrac, but am open)

jadphoto

Re: Reccomendations for 4x5 kit Bag

Check out Photo Backpacker packs. You can order directly from him or have him modify your existing pack(s) as I did. I use a 3100cc pack for my 4x5 and a 2400cc for my digital gear.

Bruce modifies the Kelty packs with a full length zipper to improve access and the Keltys have a much more comfortable suspension system than the usual photo backpacks.

I use an older Kelty Redwing for my 4x5 that Bruce modified for me and love it. I too use Sinar, and the camera fits nicely into Bruce's "cradle" with a lens installed so it's less than a minute to get the camera on the tripod and be ready to shoot.

JD

I've attached a picture and described the mobile office I have used for my Sinar F in a couple of posts:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...&postcount=551

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...1&postcount=41

I am now using a Sinar case that is one of the few of their cases that suspends the camera by the rail. The rail supports in that case are spaced from the ends and slotted to allow sliding the lenses so that they are supported by the edges of the boards. It is a very rugged, commercial-quality case, but they are not common or cheap. It took me several years for one pop up in sufficiently poor condition for it to be affordable, and then I have repaired it with new latches and improved it with wheels and a handle.

In both the Sinar case and in the mobile office I have pictured above, I can fit the camera (with a lens mounted plus the WA Bellows), five other lenses, either a stack of film holders or several roll-film holders, a Polaroid back, a spot meter, dark cloth, Sinar polarizer filter holder, rods and clips for bellows shade, spare standard bellows, and a couple of rail extensions.

Rick "who prefers keeping the camera in usable configuration in the case" Denney

+1 for the Photobacpacker system: http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php

But I also like the Thinktank Airport series: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...backpacks.aspx

I started out with the Thinktank Airport Acceleration as my 4x5 bag, but moved over to the Photobackpacker when my kit got too large - though the Acceleration is a pretty good sized bag.

The suspension on the Kelty from Photobackpacker is very good. The one on the Airport bags is very good too, just not quite as good as the Kelty. Though if you are not hauling your gear very far, maybe the suspension isn't too important.

Bob

I think the best option is a monorail case, i.e. one that lets you store the camera on its rails upside down.
    Lenses and other stuff are at the bottom; when you need the camera, you just pull it out and put it on the tripod, voila!
    Some are hard cases, others are soft; depending on where you work, you might need a small handcart to lug it around.
    These are ideal for walking around town with, and they're very easy to work out of.

For Sinar F, I don't have any recommendation. But if you use wood folders, I would recommend Kata UL-222. It has two main compartment. The top one does not have dividers which is good for the camera, and the bottom for the lens. Very good suspension, and computer compartment can be used to put holders.

I don't use wood folders and I don't need a pricey backpack!
    so Rick you recommendation seems best so far, hold 15 holders ok?

Ari, please use link if you have one.

Any other ideas appreciate. thanks!
    Rick the Sinar is being supported by some case in there within the case? Does it come with enough dividers?

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    Rick the Sinar is being supported by some case in there within the case? Does it come with enough dividers?
    I only own ten holders, and they've always been enough for a day. But I make photographs of much different things than you do. I'm not sure I could get 15 holders in the mobile office thing. I would be able to in the Sinar case, especially if I leave some lenses at home.

The case within the case (nearest the bottom of the photo) came with the mobile office thing. I don't remember what it was for, but it is divided into an upper and lower chamber, and unzips around the middle to expose the lower one. I wrapped my lenses in Calumet-style lens wraps (just google "lens wrap"), and put the two big ones (a 90/5.6 Super Angulon and a 121/8 Super Angulon) in the lower chamber, and three less bulky lenses in the upper chamber. At the back of the case (nearest the top of the photo), there is a laptop chamber, in which I stored the meter, a bellows, and a Fujiroid holder. In the picture, there are roll-film holders in the front pouch--I'd put film holders there if that was the film of the day.

That case was on wheels and it worked pretty well, all in all. The Sinar case holds more and it's more rugged, but I had to add wheels to it. The Mobile Office things works even better if you are using standard bellows in the camera.

Rick "who has backpacks for medium and small format, but not for this stuff" Denney

See this ad, recently posted:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=monorail

Peter's case is a real beauty, but if you don't have enough money for a Lightware, many other options are available.
    I bought a Calumet monorail case at the local shop for $50, and modified it to have dividers for the lenses and other stuff.

Yeah, $600 little crazy. I bought a lightware years ago for stands. Find me another one for $50 Ari.