Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod recommendation for Sinar F 4x5

Tripod recommendation for Sinar F 4x5

today I finally dived in and bought a full system from KEH, a 4x5 Sinar F, two lenses, holders...

I was going to get these legs, and I still may:http://www.keh.com/camera/Tripods-Tr...990904660?r=FE

and then see if I even need a head.

That said, tripod legs are one of the items that maybe you would prefer not to buy in VG condition (their term is bargain).

So, does anyone see some legs out there ( of legs/head) a a great rate/ condition? based on a Sinar F 4x5 ---thanks!

Re: Tripod recommendation for Sinar F 4x5

Kehs rating system, I've been told, is extremely conservative.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

funkadelic

There are lots of options for legs. For heads, look no further than the Sinar pan/tilt head.

Sinar Pan Tilt Head with Gitzo 3-series or larger legs in Carbon or Metal.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Yes, Sinar pan tilt is the perfect head. I have no doubt about that, probably my favorite piece of equipment for its functionality and simplicity. Mine is fairly beat up and old compared to the rest of my gear and i still prize it.

For legs I agree with Frank. A big Gitzo is the way to go. Carbon if you can afford it, but personally i have only aluminum. A compact G 415 for travel, and a giant 1504 for shooting over fences and when im traveling by car. Both are amazingly solid, I have no complaints.
    .....attached are photos of the 1504....sorry i know i just posted them in another thread here tonight...but they seem relevant here too.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

To the original poster, I couldn't get your link for the legs you are looking at to work. Which ones were they?

And welcome to the Sinar system, I don't think you will regret it.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gitzo-G340-S...#ht_500wt_1401

Something like these, or taller, would be nice for a 4x5 Sinar with the Sinar Pan Tilt Head.

If you intended to do 8x10 or to do a lot of work pointing the camera down - stressing the tripod's stability - then go larger (thicker legs). Always better to have more than too little, unless you are backpacking it.

If you can't find a Sinar head you might want to take a look at the Manfrotto 229 (3D Super-Pro Head) - it's not too heavy and supports up to 12 kg/26.5 pounds and really reliable!
    I've used it for my Sinar F 4x5, Sinar P1 8x10 and my Wehman with the 4"x4" Hex plate 030L.

Ken, when we talked, I suggested this (just to get it into the record so others responding know what you've already heard): Any beefy set of legs, beefier than the tripod you have now, with just the rail clamp mounted directly to the legs for now. Then, if you discover that you need to point the camera up and down, get a Sinar tilt-head.

With the lenses you have chosen (a modern 90 and 210 for everyone else), you have enough coverage to use the camera movements on your new F to achieve some vertical adjustment. If the level rail needs to be pointed up slightly, just raise the lens standard as needed. This will avoid vertical perspective convergence, too. The Sinar camera will allow you to make side-to-side level adjustments by rotating the rail within the rail clamp, just as you would with a Sinar tilt-head.

The rail clamp, like many large-format camera tripod fittings, uses the same 3/8-16 threaded connection as a tripod head. You can screw the rail clamp down onto the legs, and leave it there. When you want to dismount the camera from the tripod, just loosen the rail clamp handle and pull the camera out of the clamp. Easy, simple, and elegant.

I have used my Sinar rail clamp with a large Arca-Swiss Monoball (using a large Arca plate), a Bogen 3047, a Manfrotto 229, and a Manfrotto 410. If I hadn't already owned them for use with other cameras, I'd have been wasting money on them compared to the Sinar tilt-head.

People have loyalties, including me. There is a strong Gitzo fan club, and well-deserved because of their superior craftsmanship. But I've been using the Bogen 4030 and 3036 legs since the first ads showing David Bogen sitting on one of them (I have four sets now), and even when they are worn and seemingly rickety, they lock down tightly and rigidly because of their design. They are heavy and bulky, but they are also cheap on the used market. The 3036 legs, in particular, are highly adjustable, with lockable and adjustable center braces that will let you put the legs exactly where they need to be for support. That's not an issue for your controlled sets, but it's nice on uneven terrain. The Gitzo doesn't have center braces, and depends on the tightness of its joints to achieve the same rigidity.

Of course, the holy grail for large-format tripod legs are wooden Ries tripods. I'd have one if I could afford it. Wood is nature's composite, combining light weight, strength, stiffness, and good vibration damping. Berlebach is a somewhat less expensive (and less elegantly made) wooden alternative. But they are probably more outdoor tripods than for use in an indoor temporary set.

Rick "congratulations on your new camera" Denney

thanks all. Sinar pan tilt head, don't think it's out there anywhere and my guess is it's pretty pricy.
    Ok Rick, I get the gist of that, but I hope I discover or figure out if I want a head before the first shoot! But if I don't need a head, that would be great. Just not conversant even to know. I think in terms of 35mm, but with 35 on a tripod, with a room with a few people, I generally think I don't tilt the head up and down ( I have a Novoflex & magic ball head)

I called KEH, not sure on quality of bargain... thye say it's 80% or something like that.
    What do you think the one on ebay Frank --that or KEH bargain?