Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody done scanning of LF Negs with a dslr?

Anybody done scanning of LF Negs with a dslr?

I was thinking of something along the line of taking 6 x 6 pictures of a 4x5 neg and then stitching.
    (Thought of getting the soon to be released Nikon D800E as I don't have a proper Digital camera at the moment. That would give a ~0.5 GPix picture).

Has anybody tried something like that?

Adrian

Re: Anybody done scanning of LF Negs with a dslr?

According to posts in this thread it might be impossible. But some people are doing it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Michael View Post
    According to posts in this thread it might be impossible. But some people are doing it anyway.
    Yes, that seems a lively thread on the subject!
    Adrian

In this article, Walter Blackwell talks about it and suggests it is more than viable.

http://theagnosticprint.org/future-of-scanning/

Lachlan 717

You can get a bloody good scanner for the price of a D800E. And get better results.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Why not just shoot the scene with the dslr in the first place?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Obviously that's not the same thing Leigh. If one owns a nice DSLR and makes use of it for scanning, more power to them. I don't have the patience but it does pique my interest.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Landscape Addict

I have done this using my D3X and Nikkor 105mm F/2.8 Macro at minimum focus distance (1:1 magnification) and 6x17 slide film. (3x6 35mm frames to cover the slide giving fairly generous overlap) My tripod allowed me to hang my camera underneith it so I set it up over my light table and moved the slide around..

The results were neither great nor bad... Not as good as my Epson 4990 and total price of the setup is about 20x that of the 4990 too... The biggest issue was compiling the stitched image. My computer is very current, its a quad core Intel i7 with 16gb of RAM and it still struggled aligning, stitching and blending 18, 24.4mp images together.

All up it took about an hour to setup and shoot the slide, and about 3~4 hours of processing to get it aligned, stitched, blended and looking like one image rather than a stitch-up...

My advise, Buy a V750. Or, sell your LF gear and buy a D800E, 16-35 F/4 VR, 24-70 F/2.8 VR, 70-200 F/2.8 VR and pray that your $8500+ purchase produces better images.. (which it probably wont.)
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    I have done this using my D3X and Nikkor 105mm F/2.8 Macro at minimum focus distance (1:1 magnification) and 6x17 slide film. (3x6 35mm frames to cover the slide giving fairly generous overlap) My tripod allowed me to hang my camera underneith it so I set it up over my light table and moved the slide around..

The results were neither great nor bad... Not as good as my Epson 4990 and total price of the setup is about 20x that of the 4990 too... The biggest issue was compiling the stitched image. My computer is very current, its a quad core Intel i7 with 16gb of RAM and it still struggled aligning, stitching and blending 18, 24.4mp images together.

All up it took about an hour to setup and shoot the slide, and about 3~4 hours of processing to get it aligned, stitched, blended and looking like one image rather than a stitch-up...

My advise, Buy a V750. Or, sell your LF gear and buy a D800E, 16-35 F/4 VR, 24-70 F/2.8 VR, 70-200 F/2.8 VR and pray that your $8500+ purchase produces better images.. (which it probably wont.)
    You may be correct that stitching becomes the barrier. But as to achieving better resolution than a V750, we've already proved that using less sophisticated equipment than what you have. There was a thread linked earlier in this thread that you should read and participate in since you have experience with an attempt. Several of us have been exploring this issue in some depth, and your experience would be helpful in that thread. It's a long thread, but it does address some of your issues and hasn't yet reached others of your issues.

Rick "what if a V750 isn't good enough, and ten years from now nothing else is available at any price?" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    You can get a bloody good scanner for the price of a D800E. And get better results.
    That is the problem. You can't get a bloody good scanner for the price of a D800E. There isn't one, for LF at least.