Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lacie Blue Electron crt vs Eizo lcd

Lacie Blue Electron crt vs Eizo lcd

Hey all,

After picking up my repaired scanner from the shop the other day, I've come to grips that I need a good monitor. However, my budget is at the range of a used crt, ideally the Lacie 22” blue electron. I've read a few places online where some still believe that these ”hi-end” crt's still are the best to edit critical files on.

My use for this will be to run my drum scanner with, and also for hooking up to my editing machine thru a monitor switch.

I have the space for the BE(barely), but i'm leaving towards it cause its a $1200 difference in price...

Thanks,

Dan

Re: Lacie Blue Electron crt vs Eizo lcd

If you get a used CRT, make sure to run a calibration with one of the sensor pucks on it before buying it to make sure it can still be calibrated. I use an old Sony CRT on my scanner, and it's gotten very blue. I have to basically cut the blue to near zero to get it within range of being calibrated, and it does so, but just barely.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I'm only asking cause I've found a seller offering (2) of them that have been only used(supposedly, its C-list after all) for ~25hrs EACH. So not much use. They come with the hoods, cd's and manuals.

$85 each isn't a bad deal is it?

-Dan

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

FWIW I am still using a LaCie Electron Blue IV that I bought new in 2004 and it still calibrates using the Monaco Optix Colorimeter which I also used to create the scanner and printer profiles with. Prints with the Epson 2200 look almost exactly as the soft print on the screen.

Thomas

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Get the LaCie CRT's. I am a HUGE fan of CRT's...especially the Trinitron tubes, which your CRT's will have. Look for two tiny wires located about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way up the screen, that's how you'll know it's the good Trinitron tube.

All I will run are Trinitron/Sony CRT's. Far superior to any LCD's today and much, MUCH less expensive.

Sounds like a good deal!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

well I seem to have been able to snag (1) of them, it'd be nice to have a backup unit, especially at that price, IF the usage really is that low....

But where to store the extra, I'm already super short on space

-Dan

Where to store the extra one? Why right next to your main one of course.

Getting two of the identical CRT's is the key to having perfect calibration. I love the CRT so much that I took a vintage 24" Sony that was having issues in to have repaired. Yes I had to order parts from Japan, yes it will take a while, but this is the cream of the crop of CRT's and I couldn't just let it die on me.

Quote Originally Posted by michael slade View Post
    Where to store the extra one? Why right next to your main one of course....
    I'd love to get both, but someone's ahead of me in line. We'll see. I'll come armed with cash for both, just in case .

As you can see, my "working space" isn't very much. I'm maxed out right now...

please bear in mind this is located in a bedroom. Every since 2010 when I went to Iceland with M+P I've been sleeping on the floor(by choice, I sleep better actually), my little brother(he's 15, I'm 23) sleeps in his bed on the other side of the room outside the right edge of the photo. Not a big room, hence my rolling cart(yes, on casters thank God!) so moving it(if absolutely necessary) will be easier. Adding a 65lb CRT in place of the shown LCD monitor(17" POS Fry's special from 5 years back or so) it'll take up some space. But if its worth it color-wise

-Dan

-Dan

Maybe you ought to think of a large LCD. Looks like you *are* maxed out doesn't it?

PETER: Which Sony monitor do you have? Many of the high end flat screen CRT's can actually be factory reset via a control panel in the monitor itself. It would help you tremendously if you have a model that performs that reset.