Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New55 Project?

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: New55 Project?

Taking pre-orders is just like selling merchandise - one has to have the merchandise very near to delivery. Investors require treatment like the Securities and Exchange Commission require of all investments which costs more to fulfill than the investment needed. Kickstarter is a pre-selling portal too. What we need is a corporate partner who wants to commercialize instant film. We've been to Ilford, The Impossible Project, and plan to go to others. But the recent Kodak bankruptcy has peed in the pool, and anyone not familiar with the still-vital large format world scoffs at the idea of producing such a product.

Another barrier are the photographers: When I test them by actually trying to get them to pay money for things, they don't. Sales of Fuji 4x5 FP100B (excellent) were so poor that Fuji stopped making it. That's at only $2 or $3 a shot. They will pay $3000 for a new D800 and another 2000 for the zoom though.

We will continue to develop the process and refine it, and teach others to do it.

Bob

i asked bob my stupid question abut all of us chipping in a few bucks to get the ball rolling
    and that was his reply

he also makes amazing mic's and stuff

smart guy!
    through a glass darkly...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    Another barrier are the photographers: When I test them by actually trying to get them to pay money for things, they don't.
    Unfortunate, but not surprising.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Well, Fuji instant film doesn't have a negative that is designed to be recovered. Plus the negative is more like a monochrome C41 negative than a real B&W negative. Recovering the negative was more of a stunt than a workflow solution. We haven't seen the reaction that a Type 5x solution would bring, because nobody has done that. Personally, I'd rather not use pack film. Pack film is what I use because pod film isn't available. Would I have bought a back for the Fuji instant film if I didn't already have a Polaroid back? I don't think so.

Polaroid had its niche, but did it ever have as large a following as conventional film? Even Quickload and Readyload products have been discontinued. The New55 product will be different from the Polaroid product, that's just a given. What people want is similar functionality.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I'm willing to be patient. And I promise not to buy a D800 in the meantime.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

Checked things out over there at New55 today. I'm so curious to know what emulsion is used. It looks so good. And I find it interesting that it would only take 200k to get things up and running. That doesn't sound like much at all. This stuff is going to fly off the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by drew.saunders View Post
    If you figure B&W sheet film is about $1/sheet, plus if you send it out for developing, that's $3-6/sheet, plus a contact print is probably going to run you at least $10 for 4 negatives on one sheet, then it's not so expensive. Sure, you can do all that yourself and save money, but part of the value of Type 55 was not having to develop it yourself, and if you get a useful print from the New 55, then comparing it to sending your film out seems fair.
    Good point, Drew.
    Couldn't have said it better, myself.

-Sam Hiser

project CEO
    new55project.com

Quote Originally Posted by blevblev View Post
    I've been following the New55 project closely for a while. It's not really a restart of Type 55, but a new film modeled after Type 55. One of the main advantages of the New55 film is that the print actually reflects the exposure of the negative, whereas it did not with Type 55.
    That's correct, blevblev.

-Sam Hiser

project CEO
    new55project.com

This is driving me nuts waiting for the new film. Man I want a box of that stuff went it's ready to go on the market.

One would think that after making it for 25+ years, Polaroid would have figured out how to make the negative and print have the same exposure.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    This is driving me nuts waiting for the new film. Man I want a box of that stuff went it's ready to go on the market.
    You#d think but then again when you don't have competition the urge to make it good goes away when everybody will settle with the existing product.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com