Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding out the age of a dial-set Compur shutter

Finding out the age of a dial-set Compur shutter

Hi everyone!

I recently got a new old camera, a Voigtländer Rollfilm 5x8 (picture can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonicito/6640128439/). The lens is a Heliar 8.3cm 1:4.5 and it is mounted on a dial-set Compur shutter speeded up to 1/300.

By the serial number on my Heliar (314325) I could date it to 1927 (through some lists of Voigtländer serial numbers available on the web). Then I tried to find out the year of my shutter as well, since lenses could be manufactured years before they were mounted on a camera. The serial number on my dial-set Compur is 44414 and, I am not sure if it corresponds to one of the standard sizes, but it is really small (maybe a #000?). I am not sure if shutters for roll film cameras follow similar size standards as the ones for large format lenses. Now, all references I was able to find in the web for Compur serial numbers (for example here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Compur_serial_numbers, although all seem to take the source from Wilkinson, M, and C Glanfield. 2001. A Lens Collector's Vade Mecum) begin with 214000 in 1912.

It seems to me that the serial numbers on the dial-set Compur were not that standardized, or they followed another system...

Does anyone know a sound way to determine the age of a dial-set Compur? How old is my shutter really (I would guess sometime between 1927 and 1929, because in 1930 the first rim-set Compur shutters were used on this model...)

Many thanks in advance!
    Toni

Re: Finding out the age of a dial-set Compur shutter

It's all here and Jason's a member of this site as well. S/N is on the side of the shutter, also the lens S/N helps but they can vary as compampanies kept stocks of shutters and lenses and so they can be a year or two different.

I have a Dial-set Compur from 1913 still works smoothly.

Ian

Ian,

thanks for your reply! I already knew the the page you mentioned. Unfortunately, Compur shutter serial numbers there start with 214000 in 1912, and my shutter's number is 44414 (from the side of the shutter, yes), which is much lower than that. But the patent for the dial set Compur dates from 1912, so I guess there might be something I am missing here.

Many thanks for your help, it is really appreciated!
    Toni

Toni, your first link did not work for me, but I was able to find another link to your fascinating little Voigtlander folder:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonicit...in/photostream

So it's a 129 rollfilm camera converted to 127 rollfilm--very interesting, and great on its 8.3cm Heliar lens. I'll watch your photostream for photos from it.

FWIW, I was very happy a couple of years ago to find a well-worn but working Voigtlander Suberb TLR with a 7.5cm Heliar for $75/US, in a local antique store.

--Leigh in Santa Barbara, Calif.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Well thais has been a nintersting thread. I looked up my dial Compur (which runs like a Swiss watch) and it dates to 1925. Interestingly, I believe it was delivered as original equipment on a 1940 Aniversary Graphic.

Are you sure you're not missing a digit or two from your shutter serial number? It's not been painted over or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    Are you sure you're not missing a digit or two from your shutter serial number? It's not been painted over or anything?
    Ha... great minds think alike... I looked twice!

Heh. But I didn't mean you, I meant the original poster with his 5-digit number.

Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    Heh. But I didn't mean you, I meant the original poster with his 5-digit number.
    Oh... OK. But the comment seemed to apply to me too.

Once upon a time I had a 8.3cm Heliar in a dial-set Compur exactly like the one on that camera, but it's gone now so I can't compare it. I never had the camera that went with it.