Thread: Panning Clamp vs Full head

Panning Clamp vs Full head

I am considering my options for replacing my crazy heavy Majestic geared head... And I'm thinking about how I use the camera, particularly the 8x10.

One option is the tried and true gear head, particularly a newish Manfrotto 400 or 405. That's a little annoying since I am all set up with Arca-style plates for every camera, but it is not the end of the world.

The other option, which makes sense on paper is a panning clamp (possibly coupled with a leveling base). I'm looking at this type of thing: Really Right Stuff PCL-1. Clearly, I'd have to do tripod tricks if I wanted to shoot at an angle the camera refused to accommodate with rise/fall, but I would save on weight, cost, and probably be less annoyed overall.

Thoughts? Someone talk me out of this if it is a crazy idea.

Downstairs

Re: Panning Clamp vs Full head

Sound idea if you shoot level. I do, and mount the plate on a cup&ball video tripod (Vinten). The companion gadget is an old two way spirit level for hi-fi record players.
    I get less weight, stability and hassle-free lateral movements.

Quote Originally Posted by David de Gruyl View Post
    I am considering my options for replacing my crazy heavy Majestic geared head... And I'm thinking about how I use the camera, particularly the 8x10.

One option is the tried and true gear head, particularly a newish Manfrotto 400 or 405. That's a little annoying since I am all set up with Arca-style plates for every camera, but it is not the end of the world. . . .
    If the Manfrotto 400 or 405 is like the 410 you can buy an adapter from Kirk, perhaps from other places too, that will allow you to use your Arca plates with the head. I've been using the Kirk adapter with my 410 and Arca plates for many years.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If the Manfrotto 405 geared head is lighter enough than your Majestic to be worth considering, then I can well understand your reasons for wanting to. I hefted one of those (or maybe it was a 400), and it seemed quite a beast.

I think I could make most (not all) of the photos I've made with no fore and aft tilt capability, which is easy to simulate with movements on a reasonably flexible camera. But I have needed side-to-side tilting off level at times and that's hard to do with movements. If the camera has a rotating back, no problem. Otherwise, I think I'd still want some sort of leveling head at least.

Rick "whose Sinar tilts so easily on its rail clamp that it doesn't need a rotating back" Denney

The majestic, while not too bad a head, is extremely heavy and heavy duty. Its side tilt is not geared and is quite a pain to work with, actually.

My original idea was to just get a leveling head, but apparently those don't pan. Who knew?

A full ball head is out of the question because of the unwieldiness of the camera. I have one that I use with all my other cameras, and it could theoretically hold the big one, but the thought of that beast flopping over...

Anyway, I am probably going to give the pan head a shot and then pick up a leveling head in short order. Thanks all.