Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique Fest

Critique Fest

I deleted the original thread by accident - SORRY !

I'm a fool, and not getting any younger.

Let's try again, if you will forgive me.

Here are 2 photos, direct from the scanner. The are proof images. Critique them. Change them. Share your suggestions about how to improve them.

Test 1

Test 2

Submit your own photos for critique. It requires some courage.

Re: Crititique Fest

How dare you! Have you been up all night or something!

I just tried to post this just as you deleted the posts, so managed to save it.

=Ken Lee;599396]You are a night-bird !
    Sort of...it is just when I can work -- and with the setting up for doing the process, it makes sense to work as long as possible during a session. My efficiency drops greatly by 3 am or so (so does my ability to spell). I just developed a mistake -- I put the carbon tissue over the wrong part of the strip of negatives (old tech pan in a Diana camera) But at least I could get a better exposure time off of the bit that I did actually expose.

I'll be here for another 3 hours or so...unless I hit the wall. What will be interesting will be my bicycle ride home -- about 9 miles. It was forecasted to be windy today -- 22 mph, and fortunately a tailwind for most of the way. But the wind might not come up until I am already home -- we'll see.

But it looks like I might get some decent prints -- working with small negs tonight/morning...4x5, and 120 film. I am also reprinting a neg as someone wants to buy the print -- so I am motivated.

Vaughn

Okay -- Cropped to a lovely square, with the very nice narrow dark leaf centered. The tight cropping gives more weight to the 5 large leaves to balance the flower and elevates the impact of the water drops. Image darkened, contrast raised and some sharpening. A little warmth added, too.

Oh -- and some burning in of the edges and cornerrs.

I'll take a step into the cold waters.

Feel free to critique/modify/adjust/correct any of my photos - posted here or on my site.

On Test1 I tilted the image somewhat to make it slightly more lyrical, and then boosted the highlights and dmax, cropped to have the image interact with the frame and then added some tinting to make it look like a warmtone or platinum image.

On Test2 I cropped to give the upper left frame more tension and balance the high value of the rose with the depth in the lower right for more dimensionality.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Edwards View Post
    On Test1 I tilted the image somewhat to make it slightly more lyrical, and then boosted the highlights and dmax, cropped to have the image interact with the frame and then added some tinting to make it look like a warmtone or platinum image.

That's very nice. That Platinum look, would have never occurred to me. Thanks for teaching !

Could you tell us how you get the Platinum look ? There seems to be a Yellow ingredient in the high values.

MF/LF Newbie

What happened to the earlier posts?
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie

Far be it for me to critique, but I was thinking why not some real white? before i saw Vaughn and Scott's suggestions- Yes I like the greater overall contrast. You created a negative with an abundance of riches, so that alternative treatments are possible.
    Thanks to you all for the lesson

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
    What happened to the earlier posts?
    I'm very sorry - I deleted the thread and re-created it. Oops !

MF/LF Newbie

Ok, IŽll try again

Test2

I too found the image to need cropping. I agree that square cropping could be nice, but decided on retaining approx 8x10 ratio. I found the original to be rather flat. So levels (luminosity) and the green channel have been adjusted to add punch. Definition has been increased as it was a tad soft. I would of liked to tint it somewhat, but Aperture (sans plugins) wonŽt allow me to do this on a BW JPEG (apart from a rather gaudy sepia).
    Ezzie, aka Eirik Russell Roberts
    MF/LF newbie