Thread: Will a Horseman 6x12 back fit on my Crown Graphic with Graflok back?

Will a Horseman 6x12 back fit on my Crown Graphic with Graflok back?

My Crown Graphic has a Graflok back (just to be precise, I think that's the back for which the GG attachment is via two spring-tensioned hooks that slip underneath top and bottom catches). My question is whether the Horseman 6x12 back will attach properly to such a back?

Thanks for your help!

Joffre

Joffre, I believe it will, but I've never tried one on mine. Go over to Graflex.org and search for horseman in the help forum. There is a post where Les seems to say yes, so a question to him might get you a better answer. Still practicing saying Nara Leao john

Joffre,

I have used a 6x12 Horseman with Graflok backs for several years.

The one bother is that you must remove the GG before you attach the Horseman back. There should be two (one on top and one on bottom) chrome sliders, which are not used with the GG attached, which will lock a roll film holder to the back.

David

Joffre,

Yes, a 6x12cm Horseman roll film back will fit a Crown Grahpic with Grafloc back. I have an article called "6x12 on a Shoestring" in the current (Nov/Dec 2003) issue of View Camera magazine. Over the past several months, I have been shooting with a modified Crown Graphic (removed rangefinder and reversed front standard) and two different 6x12 roll film backs - the inexpensive Chinese made Shen Hao and the more elegant Horseman. Both backs fit properly and worked fine on my Crown Graphic.

I also used the Shen Hao 6x12 back with the spring back on my Toho FC-45X when backpacking. It fits, but care must be taken when inserting and removing the 6x12 back to not disturb the camera position, or worse scratch or break the ground glass. This is not a problem with the Crown and the removable ground glass unit (just don't drop it).

Kerry

John: Thanks for the response! Keep practicing, I'll test you next month ... :>)

David: Yes, I'd already reasoned that I'd have to remove the GG before shooting. But I already do that with my VH-R, so just more of the same. Thanks for the confirmation.

Kerry: I read your article with interest ... it's your fault that I'm cogitating about this! I couldn't tell from the photo in the article whether the camera had a Graflok or a spring back, so I had to ask. Thanks for the info and for the excellent and informative article.

Joffre