Thread: Fourth Annual Photographers Retreat

Fourth Annual Photographers Retreat

Fourth Annual Photographers Retreat

When: April 13 (Friday) –April 15 (Sunday), 2012
    Where: Peters Valley Craft Center, Layton NJ
    Who: All photographers welcome!
    Cost: Room including Continental breakfast (Friday & Saturday night)
    $150.00

What is a Photographers Retreat? This one is an opportunity for photographers to meet together over an unstructured weekend to talk, share work, see what others are doing, make new photographs, and in general, “hang out” with people who speak the same language as you. How does it differ from a workshop or conference? There is no agenda, lectures or classroom teachers. At this retreat we all get to be students and we can all be teachers. This is an informal gathering and you may attend all or part of the weekend. There is no registration charge.

There are accommodations at PVCC for about 30 people, which are Spartan and involve shared bathrooms. Some linen is provided but you should bring a pillow and towels, as well as a warm sleeping bag to keep you comfortable at night. A flashlight is a must as there is minimal lighting around the campus. You will want to bring along layers of clothing for the changing season. The cost for two nights with Continental breakfasts is $150.00. To reserve a room at Peters Valley Craft Center call Jen at 973-948-5200 (M-F, 9:30 am – 4:00 pm). There is a list of motels/hotels near Peters Valley on their website (www.petersvalley.org) if you wish for more private accommodations.

Friday evening we will have an informal “no host” dinner at a local pub followed by a get-together on campus for those who are around (BYOB and snacks). Saturday morning is generally used for photographing. Saturday afternoon we set up a portfolio sharing area in the Thunder Mountain Studios. Bring work to share if you want to, but it is not required. You are not obligated to attend any of the “events”. Saturday evening we will make reservations for the group at the Walpack Inn located in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Lunches etc. will be the responsibility of the photographers.

Peters Valley Craft Center, also in the park, is a beautiful place to explore (www.nps.gov/dewa) and photograph. We will also have access to photograph the buildings and grounds of PVCC. You can spend your weekend photographing, sharing work and looking at the work of others, connecting with old friends and making new ones in whatever degree of involvement you would like. This is hoped to be an opportunity that works for all of you who choose to attend. The intention of this weekend is simply to give photographers a chance to meet, talk and share with other photographers their personal experiences of being a photographer.

Please let me know if you are planning to attend (tillman@tillmancrane.com; (207) 230-0199) so that we can set up spaces for portfolio sharing and socializing based on the size of the group.

Invite your photographer friends along and let’s make this fourth annual event a wonderful opportunity for all of us! I look forward to seeing you in April.

Tillman

I'm not involved with this-kust posting it for Tillman
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Fourth Annual Photographers Retreat

I have been to three of the retreats and they are a fun weekend. It's also a great place to go photographing lots of old barns, beaver ponds the list goes on.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Hey Kirk,

I wonder why something like this isn't done here in New Mexico? After all, there are a few photographers in the area.

Richard M. Coda

I should have never left Jersey!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"